PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This one just arrived. In researching it, I found a thread that features a similar, but also very different carving of Queen Victoria, possibly from the 1897 Jubilee. I had been looking for one of the Peterson Meerschaums created for that event, but the prices are astronomical. This one may be newer - the stem is not amber, but probably redmanol (it's clear dark red) and the end of the mouthpiece is flat, although with a round hole. It has a fat bone tenon and no stamping on the briar.

A similar Briar Queen Victoria

20210123_155152.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
If you google 'carved briar pipe queen victoria' you'll find a lot of these. This one is almost an exact duplicate of the one I posted: Queen Victoria Briar Pipe

I have no idea if she had a problem with their production, but they were made while she was alive, and by a lot of different carvers/pipe-makers, so she had plenty of opportunity to shut it down if she wanted. If there is information published about her detesting smoking, perhaps there's also something about her hating the fact that people were carving her image on pipes?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The representation seems to me to be unmistakeable.

Does "she" smoke well?

Haha. Well, I'm a new guy. I don't post in this forum much but have enjoyed reading the material - I just thought that since another such pipe had been discussed here, this would be an appropriate place to post this one. When I google various pipe and tobacco subjects, this forum frequently pops up, so now it's documented for the next guy who finds one.

I just cleaned her up with b&a balm, which is all I use on the stummels of these old carved pipes. I do not plan on smoking this pipe, but who knows.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 1.41.29 PM.png
20210124_133716.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Haha. Well, I'm a new guy. I don't post in this forum much but have enjoyed reading the material - I just thought that since another such pipe had been discussed here, this would be an appropriate place to post this one. When I google various pipe and tobacco subjects, this forum frequently pops up, so now it's documented for the next guy who finds one.

I just cleaned her up with b&a balm, which is all I use on the stummels of these old carved pipes. I do not plan on smoking this pipe, but who knows.

View attachment 62087
View attachment 62089

This one just arrived. In researching it, I found a thread that features a similar, but also very different carving of Queen Victoria, possibly from the 1897 Jubilee. I had been looking for one of the Peterson Meerschaums created for that event, but the prices are astronomical. This one may be newer - the stem is not amber, but probably redmanol (it's clear dark red) and the end of the mouthpiece is flat, although with a round hole. It has a fat bone tenon and no stamping on the briar.

A similar Briar Queen Victoria

0View attachment 61929
What a lovely young girl she was ( deep sigh )
This is a sweet pipe, thank you for adding the link to the post of my BBB queen pipe ;)
I've grown quite attached to Her Majesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.