PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bienden

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Hanoi, Vietnam
By the way read this topic:

Unfortunately it is locked so I cannot comment. What do you think of this Pocket Pipe style?
IMG_20201106_111842.jpgIMG_20201106_112011.jpg
Note: I have no intention of selling pipes, I just want to introduce a new type of pipe.
I have to take this note because some of my articles about different types of pipes about styles, materials ... have been deleted (it was mistakenly understood that I posted for selling pipes). I do not blame any moderators because Forum Rules say so. Here, I only put up articles for the purpose of interacting with friends who smoke pipes everywhere.
Again: I'm just showcasing my work, I'm not selling pipes here. If this topic is not relevant, please let me know where to post it? Thank you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops. My post got erased with the Vietnamese essay, so to repeat: Those pocket pipes are adorable to see, cute as a kitten to buy, but not so fun to smoke with the small bowl and swivel stem. Any sturdy pocket pipe with a thick shank and stem that won't snap, is a better prospect for actual ongoing use as a smoker.

bienden

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Hanoi, Vietnam
Those pocket pipes are adorable to see, cute as a kitten to buy, but not so fun to smoke with the small bowl and swivel stem. Any sturdy pocket pipe with a thick shank and stem that won't snap, is a better prospect for actual ongoing use as a smoker.
IMG_20201115_154033.jpgIMG_20201115_154104.jpg
Thanks for your opinion.
The bowl size of this pipe is not small. Chamber depth ~ 4cm, which means you can smoke it for 30-45 minutes.
About stem, what do you think with this version. Stem is not a telescope, it's big and sturdy. Still the stem cum chamber lid, you can refill the pipe and take it with you. When you are finished smoking, simply rotate the body of the bottle and close the lid without emptying the ash.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is some beautiful grain. If you actually end up using it regularly, I take my crow with horse radish. But I don't think most pocket pipes get used that much. If I bought one, it would be for the pleasure of the object itself, and in hopes that I would defy the odds and actually carry and smoke it. Who made that? It is unusually finely crafted.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I had one ages ago (Winter '73-4), bought it at Vottis pipe shop in Schenectady NY. Truly, I didn't smoke it all that often, partly because it was a rather small bowl, and partly because the radius of the two ends of the oval bowl were too narrow to allow for proper tamping (and therefore burning).

It grew out of my rotation and eventually was left by the wayside.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My idea of a pocket pipe, since I can't quite get in step with the swivel stem versions, is a short pipe with a thick shank and stem and a large bowl for its size. The thick shank and stem keep it from getting broken in a pocket. The Stanwell pot designed by Sixten Iversson is a good prospect. Jerry Perry carved a nice pocket pipe and recommended it to me at the State Fair where he does his sales, and it is great for this purpose.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Reactions: bienden
Status
Not open for further replies.