PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have a Peterson Kinsale XL14 with vulcanite fishtail stem that I bought new a couple years back. It has been used fairly regularly (about once every 1-2 weeks). The stem has become quite difficult to twist off. I know some pipe smokers tend not to remove the stem and prefer to just clean it as is. I usually remove the stem to more thoroughly clean the pipe.

Any thoughts on why the pipe to shank fit is tight? Should I worry about snapping the stem (even if it is fairly stout)? What can be done to remedy this problem without making it worse (especially, for instance, too loose)?

Reactions: JOHN72

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have a few pure beeswax candles in the house. I'll try that out (though it seems counter-intuitive).

It is still possible to remove the stem, but it makes a squeaky noise when it is almost entirely twisted in. And if it isn't on straight, it is hard to re-adjust.

I'll try the other methods (after putting the pipe in the cooler) if this isn't successful.

Thanks, gents!

Reactions: edger
I have a few pure beeswax candles in the house. I'll try that out (though it seems counter-intuitive).

It is still possible to remove the stem, but it makes a squeaky noise when it is almost entirely twisted in. And if it isn't on straight, it is hard to re-adjust.

I'll try the other methods (after putting the pipe in the cooler) if this isn't successful.

Thanks, gents!
The beeswax acts as a viscous lubricant. It slicks around the inside of the briar and after application you will never hear squeaks or experience sticking again.

The first thing I do with my new pipes is apply beeswax, be it a Nanna Ivarsson or a Savinelli. YMMV... puffy

Reactions: edger and monty55