PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
My oldest son (20 yrs old) is home from Texas Tech for the summer.
Today was a very hot, muggy day here. It was in the upper 90's with 100 percent humidity. Since I wear a ballistic vest at work, it was miserable.
I got home tonight and grilled some chicken on the grill for my two sons (my youngest is 18). Wifey was working at the Emergency Room.
After dinner, my oldest (who smokes a pipe) decided we should finish with a good smoke. To my surprise, the younger one joined us. I loaned him a Savinelli Canadian, and the three of us enjoyed a glass of cabernet and some Lane IQ. It had just rained (hard), and the doves were all feeding in our yard. To top it off, the temperature plunged, and it was actually quite cool.
What a special evening! I have never got to sit around with both of them over a briar and enjoy some light conversation. It was a mile post. My youngest really enjoyed it, and I will be seeking a suitable first pipe for him this week.
Just thought I'd share the perfect ending to a long Monday. Happy Monday! :puffpipe:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@ranger: Great post. I once had a girlfriend who was a widow, and had a two-year old and a four-year old and, for a time, I thought I had two squiddlies of my own. Too young for smoking, but I'd go over more to see them than my girlfriend. You're a lucky guy, thanks for the post.
PS I naturally want to abbreviate your handle to pig, but I sense that might be inappropriate...
:)

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
@simnett I dated a girl for a year who had four little brothers and a little sister. I loved those kids, it was nice heing at her house and feeling a part of the family. They were adorablr little buggers.
Ranger, I'm 18, my older brother's 21 and my dads approaching 50. The three of us spend every night our schedule sharing time over a pipe, cigar, or pack of cigarettes. They are some of my most favorite times and precious memories. I love hanging with my friends; but they are second tk this sacred, masculine ritual. Glad to hear another 18 has picked up the pipe. Blessings on you and yours, hope nights like this become more common as the years go by.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Good for you, Ranger! I'm glad you get to spend quality pipe time with your kids. I just got home for the summer on Saturday night and it is nice to be home. My family doesn't smoke but they've finally accepted my habit and I was able to talk to my parents about my pipes and tobacco and they seemed genuinely interested. On a more painful note, my mom is a marathon runner so she is already dragging me along on her runs... lol 8O

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Great post and that is truly special ranger, thanks for sharing. I just spent a weekend down at our hunt club with my dad and brother in law, it was very nice. My dad smokes cigars and my BIL smokes cigs, so between us we had the bases covered, lol. What's also funny is my dad drinks gin, my BIL drinks rum (capn m 100 proof), and I drink bourbon. Variety is the spice of life.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a great evening, Ranger!
Hold nights like this close to your heart.
I really get why my 89 year old dad loves to get his sons and grandsons home for our bi or tri annual poker fests.
It thrills him. And I feel the same way when my sons and I share a special moment as well.
I'm really happy for you, pard.
Fnord

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
I too had a great end to my crap monday and being i work night shift it was also a great start to my tuesday lol. Lets just say my pipe got a little warm and smoked heavenly. Rmmhm :rofl:
and those that have spoken to me before or have read some of my posts i will be having a little girl and my lady isnt a fan of smoking. But oh well, thats why i am on here to share exp in the fine art of smoke.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Very nice and glad to hear that kind of happy report.
Both my sons, who are 23 and 25 smoke pipes....thanks to me, I suppose. We've had some enjoyable spring days and evenings sitting out in the yard listening to bird songs and doing some identification. All that's required is some good tobacco and some quiet. Our record is six different species in one sitting.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Thanks for all the comments.
@ simnettpratt: "Pig" is fine. I've been called "EP," as well. Actually, I've been called all sorts of things...

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That's a great story Bob. My son just turned 11 so I have a while to have a masculine bonding moment like that.

Jan 8, 2013
Man, that is awesome. My son is 8, so these days are still far away, but I often think of how it will be when he is older. I have begun searching out his birth year pipe in hopes that someday we can share a smoke in a similar manner. Thanks for sharing, this just made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.