PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I was wondering how one goes about verifying the age of a Tin of Tobacco. Is there a good reference to various tins and their design work or something to judge its date?

Also, I would be interested in how you are cataloging your cellar collections for keeping track of dates etc.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
There are a couple of YouTube videos that give information on dating tins from a variety of manufacturers, based on the code stamped on the tin. There have also been a few discussions here, which you may be able to find by using this search:

There are a couple of YouTube videos that give information on dating tins from a variety of manufacturers, based on the code stamped on the tin. There have also been a few discussions here, which you may be able to find by using this search:
Thank you were wondering how best to track and record my cellaring as I get going with it. And how to judge dates. Thank you.

Reactions: kcghost

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I just write on the tin with a sharpie the date I bought it. If it has a few years on it when I get it, so be it. But, I mostly go by the day I acquired it, because most tobaccos are aged before tinning anyways, so the birthday is sort of ambiguous anyways.
I do the same and enter it into the spread sheet the same way. Unless it has an easily parsed tin code on it.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I get more involved than I need to when keeping my cellar spreadsheet.

The first thing I do when I get a new tin in the mail is put a little sticker on the back that has a number on it and I treat that as a personal serial number. I make sure that when I enter the info on the spreadsheet that I include that number.

I have columns for Brand, Blend, Date of Purchase, Date of Manufacture (if I can figure it out), Person I bought from, Cost, Weight, Type of Container, and the bin I store it in. Makes it very easy to see what I have in stock and quickly find it. After I've smoked the tin, I can search the spreadsheet for the serial number and make sure I remove it from inventory.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
I get more involved than I need to when keeping my cellar spreadsheet.

The first thing I do when I get a new tin in the mail is put a little sticker on the back that has a number on it and I treat that as a personal serial number. I make sure that when I enter the info on the spreadsheet that I include that number.

I have columns for Brand, Blend, Date of Purchase, Date of Manufacture (if I can figure it out), Person I bought from, Cost, Weight, Type of Container, and the bin I store it in. Makes it very easy to see what I have in stock and quickly find it. After I've smoked the tin, I can search the spreadsheet for the serial number and make sure I remove it from inventory.
I like your system since I am new and I was not sure if empty tins are collectible also. So was reluctant to write direct on the tin. I could see ok for common ones but maybe not so for rare ones. Thanks for sharing your system.