PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yesterday afternoon in a small smoke shop in Versailles I bought a 7 ounce can of Velvet for $17.35, which puts it about $2.50 an ounce.

During the half century I’ve smoked a pipe Velvet suffered from the worst decline in quality and also has been restored to it’s former glory the most.

You’d have to be a pipe snob to not enjoy Velvet. It has a wonderful aroma on opening, it packs easily and burns cool, and delivers a straightforward burley experience flavored with maple syrup, or something that tastes like maple syrup.

I don’t think the flavorings were ever changed on Velvet. What charged was the makers used to scrimp on leaf quality and didn’t age it two years in oak.

Today’s Velvet tastes exactly as I remember it when it came in a pocket tin for a quarter, beside the Prince Albert. It’s sweet, mild, smooth and smokes as well as any tobacco can smoke, delivering Velvet taste and aroma.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Velvet is yet another blend that I'll not ever get to try :cry:
I've liked most of the American OTC Burley blends that I have tried like PA, SWR and Carter Hall.
The one that I didn't enjoy was Granger though since I do like anise, I suspect that I'd like Velvet.

Reactions: Briar Lee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a burley devotee, but Velvet is a little too mild for me. I like SWR and SWR Aromatic, Granger, EGR, and Three Star Blue, for examples, and many other blends with burley, a number from C&D. PA is a little too mild, and the cocoa flavor a bit cloying.

All the brands have gone to those 7 oz. tins, apparently an easier size and price to sell.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
When I was in high school, many moons ago. Velvet rolled into a filtered cigarette was incredible.

Reactions: Briar Lee

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Don't worry, one day one of us from the forum will visit Oz and bring you some!

(@Briar Lee Here's a vacation idea, be a Velvet missionary!)
That's a very kind thought Romaso but any pipe smoker visiting Nanny State Australia is only allowed something like 50 grams duty free.
A 50g tin is now $140 so the duty on anything above the 50g would be outrageous.
So one would need to take care of oneself first [I'd compress as much baccy that I could into a 100 gram tin and pass that off as my 50 grams. Most customs staff would overlook the excess puffy]

I'm actually way better off than most other Aussie pipe smokers.
When 50 grams was $70 I found U.S. on-line tobacconists who ship here.
I've been running the gauntlet ever since and have built a 'cellar' at reasonable cost of many blends that one can't find here. [I'm puffing on Macbaren Golden Extra atm for instance. Very nice]

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A few weeks ago I bought another 7 ounce can of Velvet from the same shop, same price as in August.

90976BDB-1A7D-4E94-B5D7-2E75F5664035.jpeg97D33180-CAC1-4BBC-8135-A6A17A03A4D0.jpegE3B60299-925D-4A0B-903B-882240129517.jpeg484D850B-DB52-4723-8AFB-C7B76A08FADC.jpeg

It was completely consistent with the last can, and in a small pipe the size shown there might be a hundred smokes in a seven ounce can.

If that’s not worth almost twenty bucks, what is?