PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I know many people don't care for this shape, but I just love this shape. It's close to my ideal shape. I love the skater. Vauen just came out with this (or I just noticed it). I know Vauens make decent pipes but it is like $250!
I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a factory made pipe when there are so many amazing hand made pipes in this price range. But the shape! There are so few shapes like this.
Does $250 sound like a lot for this pipe to you? I have never owned a Vauen.
smokingpipes and tobaccopipes have them.

XPPUP1I.jpg

ArQVOTq.jpg

That is some grain going on in that pipe, and the woodwork on the stem separation. Heck yeh, it would be worth $250, at least to me. It's listed as a skater? I think of a skate as being when the heal of the pipe projects forward with a V-shaped bottom, as in a diamond shaped shank. They usually have the bowl canted more towards the smoker. That one looks flat bottomed with a triangular shaped shank, but it may just be the angle in the pic. And, the projection looks very moderate if you could say there was one. But, a "skate" on a pipe, and a "skater pipe category" may be different. I don't usually care for a skate on a pipe, but that one is a handsome pipe, IMO.

Pull the trigger on it, before I do, ha ha. JK

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's the top view

002-457-3325_2.jpg

Tobaccopipes*com referred to it as a Canadian/freehand (with lots of artistic license).

At just over a inch deep, and .85 ID, it's gonna be a relatively quick smoke; and as it's drilled for a 9mm filter, it would not be something I'd be interested in. But at almost 6.5" long, the mere 1.7 oz. weight suggests quality wood (even allowing for that cavernous filter space).

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Yeah, I guess it's not a skater... Like the Skater, it sort of pushes forward. I'll give it a few days to see how much it pulls me. IPSD is coming soon. Maybe one will be adequately discounted. .

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a Vauen sandblast, I'm going to say, Acorn shape? It smokes wonderfully even without the filter in there.
I like the woodwork on the one you posted. But is it worth $250 to you? Only you have that answer.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's a beautiful pipe, but I see estate Ashton and Charlatan skaters with a more vivid rendering of these lines for about the same price. But maybe you like this shaping more? Oops, "pipes2smoke" has a Lane Charlatan for $65.00!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Personally, I love the sleek, modern look of the Leta (and the Caro). It's not cheap, but it looks to be well made. It really depends on your budget, but if you like a pipe and it's well made and you end up happy with it, $250 isn't too much in my view.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have to give it to Vauen, they do come up with conversation pieces. I normally seem to love or hate their pipes with very little time in the indifferent camp but must admit to a certain ambivalence regarding this one. I have come back to view it a few times and just can't decide if I like it or not.
Their pipes always appear very well made and I must get around to adding one or two to my modest collection one day but those damned filters put me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.