PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I will promote what I believe is the unique Cornell & Diehl take on Virginia-Perique. You might try:

Kajun Kake (the red Virginia is "Cavendished"). Cake = pressed ribbon cut, breaks apart by hand. I like this one quite a bit

Exclusive is a favorite of many here. High (50%) Perique

Bayou Morning, Flake or Ribbon (same blend, different mfg. process)

Chenet's Cake (another cake, probably obvious :))

There are of course others, but these will give you an idea of house style.

Anarres

Lurker
Aug 15, 2024
Seoul
SG Cabbies Mixture / Roll Cut
SG St James Flake and Plug
Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls
Peterson Elizabethan Mixture
Germain RJ Perique Mixture

I don't count Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique, that's a unique beast and now a unicorn anyway - great smoke though.
Wow, i have 4 from your suggestions in my little cabinet. I can't wait to try them all, but I still have quite a bit of bayou morning and match victorian (and Orlik) to go through first before opening another vaper haha.

BayouGhost

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
Old Gowrie
Elizabethan
Bayou Morning Ribbon (The flake is still in the cellar waiting)
Peretti St. James Mixture
Country Squire 50th Anniversary

There are many more in the cellar I have yet to try including Telegraph Hill, Kajun Kake, Chenet's Cake, etc. I did not list any containing rum toppings, dark fired or latakia as I put them into another category (With the exception of Old Gowrie).

Bayou Morning Ribbon was my first and the standard by which I measure others. I could live off of it forever if needed. Simple, "rustic" and great. Old Gowrie has edged it out in recent times probably just for variety and the Virginias seem a bit more matured right out of the tin, but we will see how it ages.

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I'll stop at one because I've only tried the Samuel Gawith Saint James Flake, excellent (obviously), but I'm sensitive to perique and found it too peppery; so I diluted it with 50% pure Virginia (I don't remember which one) and found it much more manageable for me.

I'll continue the list with the Rattray's Marlin Flake, but it's not a pure Va/Per (I think it's also the Cavendish). Very light, but still a good tobacco, the Perique is not invasive.

Then, to tell the truth, among those I've smoked there would also be the McConnell Red Virginia that the manufacturer passes off as Va/Per with a light aromatization, but no one in the world has ever smelled the perique or even the aromatization, so it's better to consider it a pure Virginia.

Finally, I recently bought some tins of Carolina Red Flake with Perique 2023, but I haven't tried it yet because everyone here says to age it for a few years 😭

Reactions: JOHN72

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Since I got good feedback on my VaPer + Dark Kentucky post, I thought I’d ask pure VaPer lovers to list their favorite blends. I sort of liked the few VaPer blends I’ve smoked, but then today I tried Escudo for the first time and I really like it! That has me wondering what other great VaPers am I missing out on?
HU Directors cut
Dunbar
Old Gowerie
Davidoff Flake Medallions
Luxury Bullseye Flake

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
My favorites so far in no particular order:

C&D Kajun Kake
C&D Exclusive