PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
baccyfart, thanks for all the pictures, that certainly looks quite tasty. I think it is great you guys experiment with different components and come up with some different flavors.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
guys, SMOOTH is all i can say about the pressed tobacco. as noted above, the perique comes front-and-center if i smoke it hot, but if i sip it, the VA's really show their character and sweetness. with the hot ball/mason jar method for aging, i really think these will smoke ultra nice down the road. next week, i plan to do a VA-only pressing. if i can shove 16 oz into my box, i think i might go with 60-70% red and 30-40% bright. i want to be careful with the bright. while sweeter than the red, it can get a bit sharp.
question to all.... what have you either blended or pressed with good results?

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
day 5 of the press today (Friday)! i have cranked it down a couple of more times. should be simmering pretty good in the old shed in this 90+ degree heat. i should be able to post some pics Sunday evening. can't wait! i had a bowl of the first plug again last night. delicious!

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
OK folks...i have the 7-day plug out of the press. This is also 40% VA red, 40% VA bright, and 20% SJP perique. It came out fantastic! The flavors are completely blended. The perique stays in the background and the sweetness and fruit from the VA's really comes out. Very pleasant smoking! Here are some pics of the plug after slicing. Yum! And, oh the aroma! I think I may have just died and gone to heaven!

press13.jpg

press14.jpg

press15.jpg

press16.jpg

press17.jpg

press18.jpg

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
booker, hah that's funny. i suppose you might be onto something with the name. i've been into different types of tobacco for over 40 years, so i'm old (tobacco user, old fart)...baccyfart.

May 4, 2015
This thread is amazing. This conversation just happened at my house:
"Honey, I need to buy a hydraulic press..." "Why?!" "Don't worry about it!" "Are you on that forum again?"

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
tom, harbor freight has them (6-ton press) for around $70 shipped. search for a harbor freight discount coupon on google. i think my coupon was for 15% off, which offset the shipping. make sure at least the bottom of your box is made out of oak (or better yet steel). anything else and the press will destroy it before reaching the full 6 tons.

May 4, 2015
Thanks for the info. I looked in to getting one in the past when I had ambitions of making a cider press. Maybe I can justify it now that it would be a multitasker.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
tom, did you get your press ordered yet? hey, i have a 60% red / 40% bright plug simmering real good in this sweltering heat that should be coming off my press this weekend. yeah, it's a big blocky chunk that will weigh 16 oz. can't wait to try that one!

May 4, 2015
I wish man! I just got an order from P&C, so my tobacco related expenditures are in time out right now. It will happen - like so many things - eventually.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Beautiful, Baccyfart. Thanks for the information and research.
That's going a little high on the Perique for me
Me too MSO, but it sure looks delish. Excited to try it out.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
baccyfart: tgs has a really good name for your new adventure. You could probably go into the business with Flag Day Flake.
Please let us know how all this tastes. I love Vapers and have an idea you have hit one out of the park.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
ten, you give me a chuckle. i think flag (something) is already taken, but it is really tasty. i just took another plug out today...60% red VA and 40% bright VA. It sliced up really nicely. It was nearly a pound and it all fit in a pint and 1/2 jar. Maybe I'll have some time later on to post up a pic or two. HAPPY FATHER's DAY to all!

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
booker, sure wish i could do that for ya. having a few problems uploading pics to my server at present.
so, i decided to mix up something a little stronger and special-er. 33% McC 5100 red, 33% Va bright, 33% SJP perique. i've got 12 oz. in the press, starting tonight. i am very interested to see the differences in the finished product. all mixed up it smelled incredible! can't wait until this weekend.
i think i have a new idea for another thread to get some baccy blend recipes. i think i'm gonna call it "What's Your Recipe?"

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm really impressed with your homemade presses and great pictures of every step of your process. I hope your flake smokes well enough to justify all the work you put into the project!
I'm not impressed with J. Patton "Cool Hand Fluke." I've smoked about 2-300g trying to like it as it was my first high-perique blend, but in the end the massive amount of perique, for me, is not well-integrated with the VA. For me it's like smoking a big lump of perique along side of decent VAs. As regards the rest of his blends, so many are simply rearrangements of each other, this one with latakia and the other with the same components and percentages without it, CHF with 40% perique and "Quadruple VA" with the same mix without the perique. I'm not saying that any of his blends are not worthy but feel blending skills could be better used. Instead of taking shortcuts to round out the roster of blends, why not concentrate on the skills needed to make something different.
C and D Chenet's Cake has 35% perique yet that amount does not overwhelm the VA and burley and is integrated with it. To me it is head and shoulders a better blend. I've not tried the Nat Sherman blend and don't have much impetus to do given the excellence of C. Cake.
BTW, I called Keith Toney at smokingpipes.com and plugged for a plug version. He didn't seem enthusiastic, but the benefits of plug vs. crumble cake should be easily realized were it a plug, given the additional pressure and melding that would ensue.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
tom, i have had similar experiences with other tobaccos. some hit you right and others don't. the baccy's you've mentioned are well-regarded by many people. with the saturation of high-quality leaf out there, i encourage you to keep in the hunt for your "just right" tobacco / tobaccos.
i have been very satisfied with the VaPers that i have come up with. i figure "simple is better", so that's why i went with what i tried above. 20% perique inside of 40% red and 40% bright (from PC) hit the nail on the head for me. with a cool pipe, the sweetness of the VA's overrides the perique. it really is a tasty smoke. i sent a sample to booker (username here on PM) and he seemed to really like it.
i'm still not done experimenting. you mentioned that you had some Quad VA. if you wouldn't mind sending me some, i'd like to plug some up with the same 20% perique above. sharing a small portion with me would be payment enough and i'll send you back the lion's share. let me know if you like to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.