PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
UPDATE: Just smoked by first bowl of Sixpence. OH MY!... This is the best non-aromatic I have smoke. I say that because I do like aromatics - particularly the ones offered by The Country Squire & The Briar Fellowship. But Sixpence is the first non-aromatic I've had that challenges the best aromatics that I love. Something about this blend sings music to my palate. So I want to thank you gentlemen who suggested that I try this blend. In my estimation its a HOMERUN! In fact, I'm getting ready to order some morepuffy I haven't use the trade section on this forum yet, but I want to trade any of my current English blends to anyone who would be willing to swap for some Sixpence.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
UPDATE: Just smoked by first bowl of Sixpence. OH MY!... This is the best non-aromatic I have smoke. I say that because I do like aromatics - particularly the ones offered by The Country Squire & The Briar Fellowship. But Sixpence is the first non-aromatic I've had that challenges the best aromatics that I love. Something about this blend sings music to my palate. So I want to thank you gentlemen who suggested that I try this blend. In my estimation its a HOMERUN! In fact, I'm getting ready to order some morepuffy I haven't use the trade section on this forum yet, but I want to trade any of my current English blends to anyone who would be willing to swap for some Sixpence.
@PiperCalvinist - you're making me want to try Sixpence, and I *just* placed an order. :) Russ Oulette's Fire Storm might be a good one to try as well.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Just had my first bowl of 1792 Gawith Flake yesterday after 2 months held up in customs, I returned it for a reassessment because they ripped me off on the duty,

Anyhow, not your concern, but it is Va/DFK, outstanding smoke, unique flavour, high nic. Like all wet Gawith flakes as long as you shred them 4 times smaller than typical broken flake cut, VERY fine, they burn fine and easily.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

BayouGhost

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
I am a big fan of Old Gowrie, but have a specific pipe set aside for Kentucky Blends. Here are my favorites that also incorporate Va or Va/Per

1. GL Pease Triple Play-Well balanced between all three components.
2. C&D Three Friars. This one surprised me. It might be my favorite in this genre. I believe it to be an attempt to replicate the ORIGINAL Three Nuns recipe with perique included. Jeremy can correct me if I am wrong, but I liked this one so much, I bought two 8-ounce cans immediately after to throw in the cellar. The burleys stand out a little bit more than Triple Play to me and it is similar to Jackknife Plug. I have not tried the new version of Three Nuns yet to compare, but I have a tin.
3. GL Pease Jackknife Plug/RR-I prefer the ready rubbed of this one. It is more of a burley with some background Virginia's and DFK to me. Triple play is definitely more VA forward. I tend to go for this one in the fall months more than Triple Play.
4. Old Dark Fired-More Kentucky with dark earth flavors. Virginias may come out more with time in the cellar, but I prefer this to Bold Kentucky.

I just ordered some Cowboy Coffee and King's Highway from The Country Squire, so I am looking forward to trying those as well and I have a tin of Sixpence that needs to be tried.

Last edited:

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
GLP is the go-to for Dark Fired Kentucky fans. (I'm not one, but I like Sixpence, and I've noticed that @kcghost spreads touts that blend like a gospel, and for good reason.)

It's not because GLP sources better Kentucky leaves, per se. It's because Greg Pease is a tobacco purist who detests the idea of even washing the soot off the leaves. Other blenders, once they've completed the dark firing process, will give the leaves a bath of sorts to remove soot and add more textural coherence. GLP blends do not do this.

When you pack a bowl of sixpence or quiet nights, you'll notice your fingers return to you blackened by the experience, and this is why. If you like the taste and consistency of DFK, his blends are the holy grail(s).

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I am a big fan of Old Gowrie, but have a specific pipe set aside for Kentucky Blends. Here are my favorites that also incorporate Va or Va/Per

1. GL Pease Triple Play-Well balanced between all three components.
2. C&D Three Friars. This one surprised me. It might be my favorite in this genre. I believe it to be an attempt to replicate the ORIGINAL Three Nuns recipe with perique included. Jeremy can correct me if I am wrong, but I liked this one so much, I bought two 8-ounce cans immediately after to throw in the cellar. The burleys stand out a little bit more than Triple Play to me and it is similar to Jackknife Plug. I have not tried the new version of Three Nuns yet to compare, but I have a tin.
3. GL Pease Jackknife Plug/RR-I prefer the ready rubbed of this one. It is more of a burley with some background Virginia's and DFK to me. Triple play is definitely more VA forward. I tend to go for this one in the fall months more than Triple Play.
4. Old Dark Fired-More Kentucky with dark earth flavors. Virginias may come out more with time in the cellar, but I prefer this to Bold Kentucky.

I just ordered some Cowboy Coffee and King's Highway from The Country Squire, so I am looking forward to trying those as well and I have a tin of Sixpence that needs to be tried.
Interesting, I almost purchased Triple Play too, but ended up throwing Three Friars on the order because of the discount. In fact, I'm smoking it right now for the first time. It's definitely a keeper for me. I like burley, but not so much alone. The same being true for Virginias. So this Virginia/burley combo works well, especially with the added Perique. It's doesn't carry the punch of Sixpence, but it's a great balanced blend. To me it tastes like University Flake with a nice touch of spice.

Someone is sending me a sample of Old Dark Fired to try, and I will plan to get that Triple Play the next G.L. Pease sale I see. Thank you for all the input here! puffy