PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
While it always fun to explore different blends, you may not ever find a blend that better suits your preference than Old Gowrie.
Yeah, maybe not because I really like it. But just thought I’d see what others find enjoyable that also enjoy that combo of blend.

PipePint&Cross

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2023
Indiana
I’ve heard some good things about this blend and Penny Farthing. I was wondering if anything knew the difference between the two?
I'm no expert, or even very good at tasting notes, etc., but to my palate Pennyfarthing is more perique forward. Being a shag cut it can vary greatly in taste depending on how slowly you smoke it. At its best I find it fruity with a nice umami background note. If I puff too fast it gets muddy tasting and not great. I really like it overall. Sixpence is a bit hard to pin down, it has a lot of the typical VaPer flavors, but you can definitely taste the dark fired. The liquor topping is really well integrated. It never comes off as an aromatic but you definitely know it's there. I find it a very cohesive blend.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Sixpence and NM403 that I made sure I got a half pound of each as soon as I tried them.

Along the lines of comments, if you find the flavoring of Sixpence that @PipePint&Cross refers to above, you may wanna try a tin of Navigator as well-it’s VA/DFK but in a similar vein as Sixpence (no perique, but strong and the rum’s a nowhere as strong a presence as say, Windjammer).

I’ve yet to try HU’s offerings, and Old Gowrie, but I was surprised that HOTW even has DFK in it. I like my dark at a level I don’t have to hunt for it😉