PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I am looking for a blend that has that creamy smoothness and hint of vanilla...and from what I think I think, may come from the addition of Cavendish?

I like the blends with Cavendish I have had in the bulk blend from the local brick and mortar.
However it is an aromatic, to which I have relegated to my 8 dollar cob.

When I first went in to begin this pipe journey, the local place is called Cigar! Cigar!...so as you can imagine it is a room full of what looks like a Commander McBragg lookalike convention all puffing cigars.
I told the attendant I wanted to start in pipes and he just grabbed a jar and said, "Here is a light aromatic" and walked away. Haven't seen the need to go back, I now drive almost two hours away to get good pipe service.

I digress.

Is there a blend that is not a blended aromatic, or an aromatic in general, that is not infused with a topping that has that vanilla hint but not sickeningly sweet?

Something without that artificial almost chemical synthetic flavoring.
That comes natural from the tobacco.

Or is my reasoning off somewhere (most likely answer).

As always, thanks for your input and helping me better understand just what the hell I am doing half the time.

M

Last edited by a moderator:

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I dont smoke aromatics, but I do find MB Vanilla Flake, or I believe its now called Vanilla Cream Flake? to hit the mark. It has that underlying sweetness of vanilla but to me, isn't cloying. That said, it will ghost your pipe, albeit a sweet ghost.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I do have a ti of that already, but have not cracked it yet...I think it may give me a good jumping off point.

Does Cavendish itself impart any of that sort of taste?
On SP you can narrow down your tobacco search by ingredients so if it does I can browse around that way too.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Does Cavendish itself impart any of that sort of taste?
Not all Cavendish.
Most American Black Cavendish is Green River Burley that has been cased with a sweetener and some vanilla flavor.
English Cavendish is generally unsweetened VA and has a naturally fruity VA sweetness, but no Vanilla.
American Brown or Gold Cavendish can be toasted, sweetened, or unsweetened burley and may or may not include Vanilla if sweetened.
Dutch Cavendish is usually flavored with liqueurs, usually of the fruit, nuts, or chocolate varieties, and may or may not include vanilla.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Folks here are on the mark with with MB Vanilla Flake, the topping is fairly light compared to most goopy aros. GLP also makes one with a fairly light topping called The Virginia Cream, but I am not very fond of it myself.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I found Mac Baren's Vanilla Flake, Classic Flake is the name these days, to be way too much of an aromatic.
But one or two strands of it in any other virginia or burley blend will give a faint whiff of vanilla that is quite nice.

Reactions: BlueMaxx and Casual

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I found Mac Baren's Vanilla Flake, Classic Flake is the name these days, to be way too much of an aromatic.
But one or two strands of it in any other virginia or burley blend will give a faint whiff of vanilla that is quite nice.

Exactly that, I asked a similar question some time back and people suggested MB Vanilla Cream, I found it overpoweringly sweet and chemical and barely finished the bowl. I mixed 40g of it with 100g of Virginia and Burley from Wolfway and it became a very nice vanilla cream aromatic mix, with enough real tobacco taste to back it up. When my current mix is finished I'll go exactly the same.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Exactly that, I asked a similar question some time back and people suggested MB Vanilla Cream, I found it overpoweringly sweet and chemical and barely finished the bowl. I mixed 40g of it with 100g of Virginia and Burley from Wolfway and it became a very nice vanilla cream aromatic mix, with enough real tobacco taste to back it up. When my current mix is finished I'll go exactly the same.
I'm in Europe, and blend names differ between here and the U.S. I think that Classic Flake and Vanilla Cream Flake are the same, but I'm not certain. Anyway, we draw the same line here it seems.

Reactions: Casual and BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Sounds like you are looking for a blend with Deertongue in it.

C&D-Crooner
C&D-Engine 382
C&D-Gentleman Caller
C&D-New Market
4noggins-Mojo

Deertongue worries me, just from what I have read, which sources may or may nit be accurate.
So far Have zero blends containing it.
I do have one tin unopened each of Gentleman Caller and Crooner.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm in Europe, and blend names differ between here and the U.S. I think that Classic Flake and Vanilla Cream Flake are the same, but I'm not certain. Anyway, we draw the same line here it seems.

I'm in Greece, just using the non-EU name for our US friends. Here we don't have the flake version, the rubbed version is called "Classic".

Status
Not open for further replies.