PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I read this book this summer, Van Gogh: The Life. Very interesting on how they use information from first hand people to rebuild the story if his life where the famous, Lust for Life, misconstrued.
He was most likely bipolar self medicated with alcohol. He actually was famous in his lifetime with his work finally getting big dollars, just before he committed himself to a state of the art medical facility (for that time). And, according to witnesses he was shot by a kid accidentally, instead of suicide. The kid later on in life confessed. But, Vincent was friends with the kid, so he died without pinning the shooting on anyone but himself. The book talked about his pipesmoking somewhat also. Good read.
View attachment 189362
I bought the book. A realy good read, so far. He remains my favorite painter along with Monet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I visited the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, but I didn't see any personal effects at all. Since he led a turbulent life, his possessions may not have ever been gathered and archived. Does anyone know of any? I'd have to base a guess on what was available in pipes in his time and place.

I've read about the youth who shot him, and who Van Gogh protected by not identifying his assailant. It seems to have been some sort of accident.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I went to a Van Gogh exhibit fifty years ago at the Brooklyn Museum.
A woman standing next to me said, “I don’t understand. Why did he sign his paintings Vincent?”
”That was his name,“ I replied.
”Yes, but why did he sign it in English?”
”It‘s not English per se. it’s Vincent in French and Dutch also.”
“But he signed it in English.”

Time to walk away.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I read this book this summer, Van Gogh: The Life. Very interesting on how they use information from first hand people to rebuild the story if his life where the famous, Lust for Life, misconstrued.
He was most likely bipolar self medicated with alcohol. He actually was famous in his lifetime with his work finally getting big dollars, just before he committed himself to a state of the art medical facility (for that time). And, according to witnesses he was shot by a kid accidentally, instead of suicide. The kid later on in life confessed. But, Vincent was friends with the kid, so he died without pinning the shooting on anyone but himself. The book talked about his pipesmoking somewhat also. Good read.
View attachment 189362
good book a friend got me a copy because of the crazy "artist" thing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A woman standing next to me said, “I don’t understand. Why did he sign his paintings Vincent?”

Time to walk away.
still better then the couple that was looking at a monet copy and she angerily yelled "it is Moe Net not Moe Neigh". Or the lady at a bakery that said there is something wrong with this bread it is warm" And then there is this kid I've been working with. Who basically his whole existence is pretty much like those statements but as persons life.

Jan 27, 2020

Time to walk away.

The Brooklyn Museum blows if you ask me.

Reactions: bullet08

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
View attachment 189362
Haven't read this thanks for the post, I loved "Lust for Life " by Irving stone.
I know that there was talk of him getting his paint all over the place including his food and using his mouth to twist different colored paint on his brushes and holding different brushes in his mouth by the handle some of the paint had lead in it which could be a cause of his mental state.

Haven't read this thanks for the post, I loved "Lust for Life " by Irving stone.
I know that there was talk of him getting his paint all over the place including his food and using his mouth to twist different colored paint on his brushes and holding different brushes in his mouth by the handle some of the paint had lead in it which could be a cause of his mental state.
Vincent was showing signs of bipolar or some other part of the schitzo-spectrum before he even started painting. He had outbursts with his father, and when he was working for the church he... had all sorts of other problems that will sound very similar to ordeals or "breaks with reality" familiar to people who know people with these mental illnesses. I don't think there are any real Van Gogh biographers that truly believe that his paint was the issue. Usually for lead poisoning to take a hold to that degree, he would have had to start eating paint much earlier in life.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Vincent was showing signs of bipolar or some other part of the schitzo-spectrum before he even started painting. He had outbursts with his father, and when he was working for the church he... had all sorts of other problems that will sound very similar to ordeals or "breaks with reality" familiar to people who know people with these mental illnesses. I don't think there are any real Van Gogh biographers that truly believe that his paint was the issue. Usually for lead poisoning to take a hold to that degree, he would have had to start eating paint much earlier in life.
Interesting, I knew a genius flutist in Minneapolis who was actually recorded on the street by some of the music university profs for being able to play classical pieces perfectly but at ten times the speed they were able to slow down the recordings digitally and correct for pitch and they were astounded he did not miss a note or beat just playing them perfectly at ridiculous speeds. Apparently, when he was a child his parents would not let him go out and play with the other kids and he would sit at the window eating chipped paint from the windowsill. He would say that his music when played perfectly was saving the world from a dozen or so imaginary Lovecraftian foes that were interchangeable with every other flurry of sound. I used to play what he called cave music with him which was basically free jazz I played upright bass I would play at like say 100 tempi and he would double and triple that in polyrhythm. Total madman, but mostly harmless.

Jan 27, 2020

Didn't he also suffer from Meiners syndrome?

Interesting, I knew a genius flutist in Minneapolis who was actually recorded on the street by some of the music university profs for being able to play classical pieces perfectly but at ten times the speed they were able to slow down the recordings digitally and correct for pitch and they were astounded he did not miss a note or beat just playing them perfectly at ridiculous speeds. Apparently, when he was a child his parents would not let him go out and play with the other kids and he would sit at the window eating chipped paint from the windowsill. He would say that his music when played perfectly was saving the world from a dozen or so imaginary Lovecraftian foes that were interchangeable with every other flurry of sound. I used to play what he called cave music with him which was basically free jazz I played upright bass I would play at like say 100 tempi and he would double and triple that in polyrhythm. Total madman, but mostly harmless.
It might take some toxicological science to determine whether it was the metals or an underlying mental illness or condition. I was in a chess club in college where a visiting student from a middle school would be brought in. He had an autism, but was also a chess master at 12 years old. It was annoying how easily he would beat us.

A local printmaker when I was also in college had been printing with inks containing heavy metals. He was not a genius. It was just sad. He was living inside a delusional world. He could do most things any more.

Unfortunately, most mental issues do not make the person more brilliant in some way; although, they may still bring love and joy to others.