SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I hate this behavior that if someone died long ago it's fair game to make fun of them for having a mental illness or such. Sure, I did similar when I was younger, but I don't know... after 30 or so most people should come to a place in their life where they know better.

Didn't he also suffer from Meiners syndrome?
I had to look that up. The writer posted above did not list that as a diagnosis... although after googling it, it did exist as a disease that was known at that time. But, google says that it starts at age 40, and Vincent died at 37... so I don't think so. But, the whole schitzo-spectrum did not exist back then either. So, no one can be definitively clear on what he had. But, he behavior sure did sound very bipolar.

I hate this behavior that if someone died long ago it's fair game to make fun of them for having a mental illness or such. Sure, I did similar when I was younger, but I don't know... after 30 or so most people should come to a place in their life where they know better.
Most geniuses... in areas of study where people don't fully understand the contribution or the impact, people will have a bit of fun. Van Gogh and his use of color; Freud on art, literature, and psychology; and many other writers or artists... people just don't understand, so they make jokes. Humor is a coping mechanism. I am guilty... although, I try to make myself the butt of the joke most times.

Van Gogh did some bizarre things, like cutting his own ear. So, folks just have a hard time relating things like that to intelligence.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 27, 2020
Van Gogh did some bizarre things, like cutting his own ear. So, folks just have a hard time relating things like that to intelligence.

My earliest clear memory of getting my haircut, I don't know how old I was maybe 8 or so, was of the bartender telling me if I squirmed anymore I might get my ear cut off like Picasso. I recall thinking at the time something like "it was Van Gogh you dumbass" but just sat there and let him hack away.

My earliest clear memory of getting my haircut, I don't know how old I was maybe 8 or so, was of the bartender telling me if I squirmed anymore I might get my ear cut off like Picasso. I recall thinking at the time something like "it was Van Gogh you dumbass" but just sat there and let him hack away.
You got your hair cut in a bar? Ha ha. Parenting award of the year!!!
JK...

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
There have been various theories over the years surrounding Van Gogh cutting off his ear. Two German historians theorized Gauguin sliced it with a sword after Van Gogh threw something at him, based on inconsistencies in official police reports. There are letters from both artists suggesting they kept quiet, perhaps, to keep Gauguin from going to jail.

There is book that suggests Van Gogh got upset when his brother Theo announced he was to wed, worrying Vincent that his benefactor might not provide for him anymore with a bride to take care of—combined with some other emotional triggers, the ear was cut off the same day Vincent found out (dates from letters seem to add up). There is a drawing by the doctor who did a drawing of the ear and it indicated the whole thing was sliced off, not just the lobe.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
There have been various theories over the years surrounding Van Gogh cutting off his ear. Two German historians theorized Gauguin sliced it with a sword after Van Gogh threw something at him, based on inconsistencies in official police reports. There are letters from both artists suggesting they kept quiet, perhaps, to keep Gauguin from going to jail.

There is book that suggests Van Gogh got upset when his brother Theo announced he was to wed, worrying Vincent that his benefactor might not provide for him anymore with a bride to take care of—combined with some other emotional triggers, the ear was cut off the same day Vincent found out (dates from letters seem to add up). There is a drawing by the doctor who did a drawing of the ear and it indicated the whole thing was sliced off, not just the lobe.

Well, despite various theories, I would take his admission in a letter to his brother over most theories... which is the most accepted explanation, and maybe the more troublesome indicator of his internal problems.

Gauguin was a dick though. We would never even have known his name if it weren't for Van Gogh.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
It might take some toxicological science to determine whether it was the metals or an underlying mental illness or condition. I was in a chess club in college where a visiting student from a middle school would be brought in. He had an autism, but was also a chess master at 12 years old. It was annoying how easily he would beat us.

A local printmaker when I was also in college had been printing with inks containing heavy metals. He was not a genius. It was just sad. He was living inside a delusional world. He could do most things any more.

Unfortunately, most mental issues do not make the person more brilliant in some way; although, they may still bring love and joy to others.
Yes, it is very sad the flutist I mentioned when not playing his flute or listening to his Elvis records (the only popular vocal music he owned everything else was flute related whether Jazz or classical) lived a lonely life of quiet desperation usually rocking back and forth as a self-soothing activity.

Jan 27, 2020
Gauguin was a dick though. We would never even have known his name if it weren't for Van Gogh.

I don't agree with the last part, but perhaps, but whose to say... Picasso did rip-off him in regards to taking sculpture seriously and denied it in typical Picasso fashion. Picasso was a real dick too, btw.

rocking back and forth as a self-soothing activity.
That sounds like a reaction to anti-psychotic meds. Rocking isn't a a result of the mental problem, but the meds. Medicine is the most aggravating part of mental illness... they cause as much negativity as they solve.
I say this as someone who had my first wife go through some shit. I just wish that there could be more innovation in these areas.

Picasso was a real dick too, btw.
Ahhhh, but Picasso earned his right to being a dick, ha ha. His biography written by his exwife is my favorite (Life with Picasso (New York Review Books Classics): Gilot, Françoise, Lake, Carlton, Alther, Lisa: 9781681373195: Amazon.com: Books - https://www.amazon.com/Life-Picasso-Review-Books-Classics/dp/168137319X)
To him, she skewered him, but to the reader, we understand him even more and love him even more. He was an awesome father, even if his ideas on fidelity may be different from ours.

• Love
Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
That sounds like a reaction to anti-psychotic meds. Rocking isn't a a result of the mental problem, but the meds. Medicine is the most aggravating part of mental illness... they cause as much negativity as they solve.
I say this as someone who had my first wife go through some shit. I just wish that there could be more innovation in these areas.

Ahhhh, but Picasso earned his right to being a dick, ha ha. His biography written by his exwife is my favorite (Life with Picasso (New York Review Books Classics): Gilot, Françoise, Lake, Carlton, Alther, Lisa: 9781681373195: Amazon.com: Books - https://www.amazon.com/Life-Picasso-Review-Books-Classics/dp/168137319X)
To him, she skewered him, but to the reader, we understand him even more and love him even more. He was an awesome father, even if his ideas on fidelity may be different from ours.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Jan 27, 2020

Well, I wasn't just thinking about his misogyny, or whatever. I am not doubting his "genius" but I have never had an emotional response to a piece of his art, which I'm sure someone or many would dismiss as me not "understanding" his work.

Jan 27, 2020
MoMa has this room of Rothko up at the moment and I saw a quote of his there the other day: "there is no such thing as a good painting about nothing", which I very much agree with and sadly much art is produced these days, a lot of it celebrated, which is clearly about nothing although the artists statements might try to fool you otherwise.

Well, I wasn't just thinking about his misogyny, or whatever. I am not doubting his "genius" but I have never had an emotional response to a piece of his art, which I'm sure someone or many would dismiss as me not "understanding" his work.
Ahhh, he was always accused of stealing ideas, and his retort that... "well, you should have done them better, like I did," ha ha. It's ok not to like his work. His work just always spoke to me. I "got it" so to speak.

Jan 27, 2020
Ahhh, he was always accused of stealing ideas, and his retort that... "well, you should have done them better, like I did," ha ha. It's ok not to like his work. His work just always spoke to me. I "got it" so to speak.

Well, I respect that. What we respond to is often very much a mystery that should be nourished rather than defended.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
MoMa has this room of Rothko up at the moment and I saw a quote of his there the other day: "there is no such thing as a good painting about nothing", which I very much agree with and sadly much art is produced these days, a lot of it celebrated, which is clearly about nothing although the artists statements might try to fool you otherwise.
the statements are the most "artful" of a lot of hyper-modern art, as in well crafted and executed with exacting technique whereas the art leaves the eyes, mind, and heart, a little meh. When I saw the works of Great Van in Amsterdam standing across from it I was utterly blown away I had no idea how thick he painted in almost 3D and the twist and strands of many colors spun into the canvas, though it may sound naive it actually was a psychedelic experience. When you see a painting and it haunts you for the rest of your life you know that you saw something truly great.