PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I just got back from this traveling Van Gogh exhibit at the Museum of the Mississippi Delta in Greenwood MS. It was a somewhat interesting interactive exhibit that looked to be geared more for kids or casually interested adults. Pretty well sanitized in its content. A short eight min. animated video that glosses over so much of what he did and his life, and NO reproduced paintings showing him or anyone else smoking a pipe, or even one with his damaged ear. There was one painting entitled "Van Gogh's Chair" that has a pipe on it that looks to be a carved or decorated white pipe (meer?), and that was it. All in all the stuff normally in the museum dealing with Mississippi history, native American history, and pre-history was far more interesting. It's sad that stuff like this has to be so severely edited so as not to offend anyone. Well guess what, it offended me, and cost me $15 too. Phooey!

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I just got back from this traveling Van Gogh exhibit at the Museum of the Mississippi Delta in Greenwood MS. It was a somewhat interesting interactive exhibit that looked to be geared more for kids or casually interested adults. Pretty well sanitized in its content. A short eight min. animated video that glosses over so much of what he did and his life, and NO reproduced paintings showing him or anyone else smoking a pipe, or even one with his damaged ear. There was one painting entitled "Van Gogh's Chair" that has a pipe on it that looks to be a carved or decorated white pipe (meer?), and that was it. All in all the stuff normally in the museum dealing with Mississippi history, native American history, and pre-history was far more interesting. It's sad that stuff like this has to be so severely edited so as not to offend anyone. Well guess what, it offended me, and cost me $15 too. Phooey!
Censoring is an epidemic.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You already said it's for kids and sanitized. What did you expect?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When LACMA held its landmark Van Gogh exhibit a few of decades ago, nothing was censored and it was a huge retrospective.
Maybe because this was aimed for kids, the show's creators felt obligated to gloss over what they considered "adult" level content.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Van Gogh is my favorite painter along with Monet. I don't mind glossing over things if the bulk of the audience is children. Not showing his paintings because there was a pipe in them is criminal regardless of age.
The OP said there was a painting of a pipe though. I am really struggling to see the problem here.

How many of Van Gogh's paintings depicted a pipe or pipe smoking? His output was prolific. He painted 900 pictures and made over 1200 sketches over a 10 year period. He made 36 self portraits, 6 of which show him smoking a pipe. I just had a look and was only familiar with one of them. A famous self portrait of himself wrapped up against the cold and wearing a bandage covering his damaged ear.
I know he painted a few other portraits of people with a pipe, but I reckon at a push there must be a dozen, perhaps 2 dozen paintings of pipe smoking in his extensive body of work, less than one percent.

I don't know how many pipe smoking paintings the OP expected to be reproduced at a Van Gogh exhibition for kids. If I was after some pipe smoking content it probably wouldn't be my first choice for a day out.

I'd ask the OP what he expected? Perhaps an information board outlining the history of the make and calibre of fire arm he used to commit suicide, or details of the extent of the chest wound he suffered taken from doctors notes.

Saying that an 8 minute video glossed glossed over a lot of his life is a big statement of the obvious, I would say.

Also with regard to wanting to see paintings with his damaged ear, He never once painted it. There are only 2 paintings which show a bandage over his ear, following the self inflicted injury, but I think he only painted 3 more self portraits following this, all of which show the other (right) side of his face. It was his left ear that he mutilated. So I repeat, that's only 2 paintings in over 2000 works of art that even hint at his injured ear.

I don't know how many of Van Gogh's early works were reproduced at the exhibition showing the work of textile weavers for example. He did quite a few of them. If they were not on display, was the plight and awful working conditions of hard working poor also censored?

I would be a bit more annoyed at paying good money to see NO original artwork, although I understand that would be difficult to have for Van Gogh particularly if its a travelling display, from a logistial and insurance point of view. Sounds like manufactured outrage over nothing to me.

It's a bit amusing and ironic to hear of someone going to an art display in the hope it would cause offense, and then feeling offended when it's intention was apparently not to cause offence.

Also, to add a modicum of measured response I would hardly say that a lack of pipe paintings is criminal! Come on. Really?

Perhaps people need to comment here about how censorship is an epidemic in modern 'woke' society. Do it quick though before the thread gets closed.*

I don't intend to cause offence😄

*Any mods reading this, it's not intended as a dig at your hard work. Thanks for all you do.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I saw the exhibit when it passed through New Orleans. I throughly enjoyed it. While it didn’t have any of his original works (for obvious reasons) it did take you through the various stages of his work & was well worth the price of admission. I especially enjoyed the immersive element. They had a room set up & projected some of his works on the walls & ceiling. You could lounge in there as long as you like. There were a lot kids there that seemed to be engaged & enjoying themselves. A big plus in this city as most of the entertainment is geared towards adults. It did mention his mental illness & struggles with addiction, but didn’t dwell on it. I thought it was a great way to introduce kids to art & his work in particular. It wasn’t stuffy or pretentious. There was even an area towards the end where they could create their own Van Gogh.
If parents found it too sanitized, they can always teach their children on their own.

Reactions: ThermionicScott