PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hap, dry that Bluegrass out some more, and maybe rub it out a little bit. My sample is pretty dry and smokes well.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Smoking my first bowl of Triple Play, and this one is kind of a different spin on most of the the other VaPerKy (VaporKey?) I've tried. I can't think of anything I've smoked that's similar, but I think I like it. A lot of times the added KY in these blends is pretty light, but I'm wondering if Triple Play has a heavier dose, maybe even more than the Perique?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only Va.Vaper/Kentucky in my cellar is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. It is a tasty blend that I believe will be spectacular when aged. When fresh the typical rough edges from the Kentucky are present but not off putting,I can just tell they will smooth out as my Kentucky's generally do.
For example my 2012 GL Pease Navigator which is a Virginia?Kentucky was a little rough in the beginning. Now 7 years later it is very smooth. Makes it a great blend.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Bluegrass is very good, Viprati is better and Triple Play is the best.All my opinion, of course.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been enjoying GL Pease Cumberland lately, which has those components.
+1 on Acadian Perique, awesome any time, although it also has (the kitchen sink) burley, oriental & cavendish.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm about to light up some C&D Bluegrass in a Kemberling smooth bent Rhodesian, an Austrian pipe. These blends give some bass notes to the Va/Per combination, which I like. Maybe the simplicity of just Va/Per is a little more sophisticated when it's light and finely tuned. Personal taste of course, but I like the dark fired added.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From P&C's website re. their dark fired Kentucky bulk (presumably written by R.O.)
This is a little-known component that I use for a variety of purposes. It is a dark tobacco, similar to Burley that is cured over open fire, giving the tobacco a smokiness that is much more subtle than Latakia, a deep earthiness, and a decent wallop. I like to use a bit in a Latakia-based blend to give it a touch of sharpness, or to add body to Virginias. High in nicotine, moderate burning quality.
btw, TobaccoReviews' list of contents notwithstanding, my tins of Doblone D'Oro list dark fired Kenyan, not Kentucky.
Mac Baren Acadian Perique has some dark fired.
Jim, Mac Baren Acadian Perique has some of everything in it! :lol: :lol:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I would have assumed Dark-Fired Kenyan to be Kentucky-seed grown in Kenya (like the Italian grown/processed DFK), but seeing as how GH&C uses dark-fired tobaccos from VA-seed in their blends, I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. May be best just to call it what the blender calls it... It tastes like what I'd expect from Fired Kentucky, though.
I'm having my first bowl of Old Gowrie, which may have been a trendsetter in the VaPerKy genre. It's been around a long time, no?

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
My favorite genre. Love Bluegrass! And Firestorm, Cumberland is very high on my list- love it! And Triple play- a little stronger DFK. It’s funny these 3 ingredients can vary so widely. No telling how many VaPer-DFK blends I’m sitting on!

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Big fan of GLP's Triple Play and Jack Knife...also pleasantly surprised by Newminster #403 - Superior Round Slices - great depth in flavor profile and great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.