PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the first Va/Per dark-fired blend I tried was Russ O.'s Fire Storm. Today I'm trying a second bowl of a sample from the Chicago pipe show of C&D Bluegrass that is a nicely balanced version of the genre. I went right through the tin of Fire Storm, so it never made it to a jar. Fire Storm is a lively and full strength blend. Between the two, I don't know which I'd order ... maybe both. I still have on hand some of the classic Va/Per blends, so I will eventually go back and compare. I think the dark-fired adds something that a burley smoker like myself particularly appreciates. I'd recommend either of these, and I'd happily try other blends in this genre.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have been intrigued by this as well. The first taste of Firestorm set my mind a-wondering. Didn't know about the bluegrass, I'll have to scoop some up soon if I can.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's a few I really enjoy:
C&D Exhausted Rooster

GLP Triple Play

Watch City Cigar #558

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

HU Directors Cut

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I may have to revisit Fire Storm. I tried a tin a few months back and liked it, but it didn't strike me as especially unique as a VaPer, with the exception of the Virginians being on the sweeter side.
What is the taste of dark fired Kentucky? I've never really developed a sense for what it means to have it in a blend.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I've been smoking MB Club Blend for ... I dunno, 15 years now I guess, and haven't found anything better. They used to call it "patented cavendish" and now they call it "dark fired" but whatever, it's spicy and mean, and I likes me some nestled in the middle of a sweeeeet virginia roll.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, Triple Play, I enjoyed that one before Fire Storm. There are so many good blends, you forget some. Hey, you have to know when you're happy.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I really enjoy these blends. I feel like the Dark-Fired adds a bit of strength, body and maybe rounds out the flavor profile a bit when added to VaPers.
I have a tin of Triple Play in the mail, but lately I've also been loving Flake #558 from Watch City and Savinelli Doblone D'Oro like Darin mentioned. Definitely need to try Firestorm.
What is the taste of dark fired Kentucky? I've never really developed a sense for what it means to have it in a blend.
IMO, it is a bit like hickory smoke BBQ, but it also also is a bit floral. It's less pungent than Latakia, but it has way more body and nicotine. C&D, Stokkebye, etc. sell it as a blending tobacco, butyou can also try an ounce of D&R Ryback. Ryback is meant to imitate the Dutch style cigarette tobaccos like Drum, Bali Shag, etc., but it is pretty much a straight mix of VA and dark-fired Kentucky.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Danimalia, thanks for the dark-fired description. I happen to have a bit of Ryback in a jar. Haven't tried it yet but I'll give it a shot now.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I find that a nicely balanced Va/Per with some condimental dark fired leaf is my favorite use of dark fired tobacco. I like burley blends but for some reason any blend with too heavy of a hand with the dark fired turns me away. GL Pease Triple Play is definitely a prime example of well balanced in this genre and I enjoy it everytime I pack a bowl of it.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Sasquatch, I smells what you're cookin'.
Club and Rollcake rock! 8)

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I second that, Sam. I love Viprati, and smoked some earlier today. I also really like the MacBaren Dark Twist, particularly when I fold and stuff the coins, as I love having the occasional unexpected blast of sweet/smoky from the center cavendish and dark fired.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm a huuuuuge fan of the Virginia, Perique, Dark Fired combo. I've tried many or most of the blends mentioned above, and I like them all.
Has anyone else noticed that C&D Bluegrass is a little fiddly? (no pun intended). I like the flavor a lot, but I find it pretty hard to keep lit, at a variety of moisture levels.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
HU Tobacco’s Louisiana Broken is another in this genre. A really excellent smoke.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
GLP Penny Farthing is a new VA, KY, perique blend. It is a fine shag cut, so fine that you can roll cigarettes with it. My impression is the tobacco starts out really good with sweet and tangy notes and becomes a bit muddled and irritating about half way through.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
becomes a bit muddled and irritating about half way through
Huh, what?? I think you need to try, try, again. Maybe a different pipe. There's more goodness deep down inside this blend.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
+1 to bigtex. For me, Penny Farthing started out “muddled” and just stayed that way. It is now relegated to a jar for some aging (and hopefully magic).

Status
Not open for further replies.