PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I'm waiting on a package from Smoking Pipes, and I just checked the tracking on it and the last update is still from April 16th in Miami and it says "Restricted Delivery." I tried calling USPS and what a joke you're guys' mail system is, haha, everything was automated without the option of speaking to an operator, and none of the menus help me with my issue here. I can't even freaken email them because it requires me to fill out all sorts of information including my American home address, which I obviously don't have. I emailed Smoking Pipes just now hoping for some sort of help, I don't know what they can do though.
When I check canada post it doesn't even say they've accepted the package. I'm starting to get a little stressed.
Any help, anyone know what that means or if thats normal? I don't recall seeing that on my other orders.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
If there's a tracking number the postage has already been paid, so that's definitely not the issue. As for restricted delivery, in 15 years in the mailing industry I've never heard that one! Sorry, can't help you there.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Google and the USPS website tell me this:
Restricted Delivery
Do you need to make sure your mailed item is delivered only to the addressee? Use restricted delivery service.
Restricted delivery service ensures that mail is delivered only to a specific addressee or the addressee’s authorized agent. The addressee must be an individual (or natural person) specified by name.
This is all you need to do:
Write “Restricted Delivery” above the delivery address to the right of the return address.
Other pertinent information:
Available for the following services: Registered Mail, Certified Mail, COD, and mail insured for more than $200.

You may request a return receipt with restricted delivery — see return receipt service on page 4Return Receipt.

Restricted delivery is also available to certain countries for registered mail items accompanied by a return receipt. See Individual Country Listings in the IMM for more details.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Pardon the interruption, but Schmitz, it's nice to see you again.
loseth, I hope your package arrives fine.

mzpuff

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto
I just got the same message on my tracking today, as well. We will see what it means when it gets here. From what Shmitz posted, I have a feeling that it may be a way for them to help ensure that it does not end up in the hands of a minor. They may not just safe drop it. I hope that it is not a tip off for customs.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
My guess is that customs will want to charge you duty, and they won't give the parcel to you until you pay up.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Here is a handy web page that tells you how to contact a real person at many businesses, including the USPS. I am including the link to the web page, instead of just the information for the USPS.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/reference/Bypass-IVRS-Talk-to-a-real-person-cheatsheet

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the cheatsheat, that is really handy.
And I really hope that the restricted delivery doesn't tip off customs, which it looks like it would inevitably do. I have another package I just ordered, I suppose I'll get dinged two in a row now :s. After this second package arrives, I should be good for quite a while, I might do another OTC order sometime in a month or so.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
@loseth:

All of my packages say that...it essentially means they cannot drop off to anyone other than the address posted (i.e. not your neighbour). I've hadd most of my PAD just come in yesterday and today. Don't worry too much about it!

By the way, all of my orders with over 200 g came in without getting hit for duty/GST (knock on wood!)... it would seem that the five tin deal at Smokingpipes.com is getting through the system without too much attention to it. Maybe I'll make one last order before the April special goes away for the Dunhills...

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Both my packages from SP said this "Delivery Confirmation International

Restricted Delivery"
I had alot more than 200g. Mine both went to Miami and it said that for 8d. They came this week after ordering them the first wk of April. 8) Be cool. CP will have it in a couple days. I get stressed out too but it comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.