PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I have a few (maybe more than a few) pipes that have vulcanite stems. Since I don't clench I don't care. However, what I do care about is oxidation.

I bought some obsidian oil to prevent this. How do you guys use it? Apply a fresh coating before and after every smoke using a polishing cloth? Every once in a while? Will it harm the stain on the briar if it touches it? Just wondering how to start using this stuff.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I take the cap off, cover the opening with my index finger, tip the bottle slightly to get a little bit on my finger. A little bit goes a long way!!! Rub it on the stem and let it sit for a minute or two. Polish it off with a soft, cotton cloth. I haven't noticed any affect on briar. I tend to use it at every cleaning since I already have the pipe in-hand.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I use a cloth patch with an extremely small dab on it. I'll typically re-use that cloth for a few months, it will get enough oil from even small applications that I don't have to apply fresh oil every time I wipe a stem down (I keep in a drawer so it's not too fast to dry out).

I rinse the stem when done smoking (as part of cleaning the pipe), dry with a pipe-cloth I keep handy....and then wipe with the oil patch. Not at all a heavy application, a slight sheen to tell me I don't have to refresh the patch. No issues with oxidation at rest.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my ebonite pipes have it and I use it on every pipe after I smoke it I wipe every pipe I smoke that day and then I let it set overnight wipe it nice and good the next day and then wipe the stem real good the next day and that was it. All of my stems looked shiny and new the next day and I put the pipes back in their racks and had some very nice and shiny looking pipes the next day, Yeah it took a little work but the next day they looked just great.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I take the cap off, cover the opening with my index finger, tip the bottle slightly to get a little bit on my finger. A little bit goes a long way!!! Rub it on the stem and let it sit for a minute or two. Polish it off with a soft, cotton cloth. I haven't noticed any affect on briar. I tend to use it at every cleaning since I already have the pipe in-hand.
This is exactly it. After smoking and cleaning.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I third or fifth the little goes a long way sentiment. But, I leave it on the stem until I pick up the pipe again to smoke. That could be days or even a week or so.

Just need to remember to wipe it off before you begin puffing. I gather it is food grade oil/ingredients, but still, I didn't particularly like having it slathered on my lips.

So far, I haven't noticed any drawback to leaving it on the stem for long periods. No major benefit either, but I figure it's protecting them until I smoke them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.