PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I'm still somewhat of a newbie, but here is my take:

• -- My favorite pipe is a Vauen, and I use 9mm filters in it every time I use it (Dr. Perl Junior). I don't like to smoke it without the filter.
    -- I like the paper filter in my Missouri Meerschaum, but often smoke without them.
    -- I have a JJ Fox pipe which I do not smoke with a filter...not even sure what filter I would put in it.

I think the Vauen activated charchoal filter makes for a smoother smoke. I usually only use it once, even though they say you can use it twice. I suppose you do get more flavor without the filter, but I think I get enough flavor with it, and I never seem to have a harsh smoke with the filter. I tend to smoke stronger tobaccos, though.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Having posted that, I am still evolving. Perhaps next year I will be back, decrying the evils of filters.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Regarding filter producers: for charcoal I really like Vauen and Stanwell. Savinelli for balsa. Meerschaum filters are somewhat expesive but don't reduce the flavours.

If you try some less known producer it would be wise to sacrifice one and to check what are they made of. You know, for the team. :) These days when money rules the world you can find some really nasty stuff in them.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Use an adaptor with my Savinelli 6mm because the balsa filters go spongey far too quickly with some tobaccos.
Seems against popular opinion but I don't mind the charcoal filters in my 9mm pipes.
I agree with deckpiper though, tastes and preferences can change pretty rapid.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2tnvxx.jpg

This pretty much sums it up for me.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
You’ll get 50/50 answers on this one. I personally use the balsa “filters” with every smoke if my pipe accepts it. They don’t change the flavor profile of the leaf, and they cut down on moisture .

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Do you use coffee filters Warren? Or just pack the ground beans in you lip like a chaw?
Kidding of course. :D

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+ 1 for Carolina churchwarden,speaking of filter use,I use to go like him.One interesting observation, lately I have come to conclusion, somehow it seems like the grand majority of higher end pipe manufacturers does not favor making filtered pipes too often. Especially ,those from England and Italy.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Olkofri after much trial and error I have reached the conclusion that Vauen's Dr Perl is the best price to quality deal. I like Stanwell as well, but from Germany I get 100 Dr Perls for EUR 6.5, while at my B&M Stanwell's cost EUR 1.8 for 10 pieces, and the quality difference is not that significant. Another interesting thing we find around here is White Elephant containing meer chips, or a mix of carbon and meer chips. I don't like the meer ones, and haven't tried the mix. Peterson is also something I get when I can't order from Germany. Bouts Choquin are also available, for cheap too, but they are quite bad in my opinion. If you want to get real fancy Tsuge and Brigham are nice options, but a bit too expensive for my taste - especially since on a day to day basis I smoke 80% filtered.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have filtered pipes (9mm and 6mm) and non-filtered pipes.

If the pipe takes a filter, then I put a filter in it, if not no worries.

However I refuse to use the charcoal filters, because it seems like they cut the taste down to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.