PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I only have one Castello. It has a slot but it's a fake slot. It's not funnelled at all. It's like a square cave, actually. It probably took a fair amount of skill to carve. In the middle of the back wall of the cave, there's a hole. It's a hidden orific hole. Very clever really! Because Castello drills its draft holes so wide, the draw is still better than most.

No skill whatsoever. No work at all, in fact. They're molded that way.

A "pseudo slot" to save labor.

Italian slot 1.JPG

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I just watched a few videos of castello. It looks like the start with acrylic rod , turn a tenon, then drill the draft hole. After that they make the " slot " on a lathe by drilling it out. Then it is paired with the briar and the rest of the shaping is done with files and sanding disks to get rid of the excess material. So hand cut, sorta. But Savinelli does the same shit based on what their stems look like.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I just watched a few videos of castello. It looks like the start with acrylic rod , turn a tenon, then drill the draft hole. After that they make the " slot " on a lathe by drilling it out. Then it is paired with the briar and the rest of the shaping is done with files and sanding disks to get rid of the excess material. So hand cut, sorta. But Savinelli does the same shit based on what their stems look like.
Trying to wrap my head around that one. They cut the slot on a lathe or a mill?

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.