PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Any pointers on how to use one to funnel a bit?

My meer hobby block has a semicircular slot cut into it, but it’s basically an orific bit, as it is not truly funneled.
7D903F62-8C41-4054-BB3C-B3F6DFF781B7.jpeg
By the way, I’m convinced that it’s no coincidence “orific” rhymes with “horrific.” The pipe smokes great, other than the smoke is focused on one tiny spot on my tongue and is giving me tongue bite like I haven’t had since I first started smoking pipes. The smoke needs to fan out more.

Reactions: mingc

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Any pointers on how to use one to funnel a bit?

My meer hobby block has a semicircular slot cut into it, but it’s basically an orific bit, as it is not truly funneled.
View attachment 34894
By the way, I’m convinced that it’s no coincidence “orific” rhymes with “horrific.” The pipe smokes great, other than the smoke is focused on one tiny spot on my tongue and is giving me tongue bite like I haven’t had since I first started smoking pipes. The smoke needs to fan out more.
Just ream it inwards down the sides is what I do. It’s hard with acrylic. I just did it to a handmade Butz Choquin Collection that had the same problem.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
For hobbyists, the easiest and safest way it's too get this file from Vermont Freehand.

Those with a Foredom flexible shaft tool and a bit more courage might want to try this but from Premal Chheda's Rawkrafted site:

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
For hobbyists, the easiest and safest way it's too get this file from Vermont Freehand.

Those with a Foredom flexible shaft tool and a bit more courage might want to try this but from Premal Chheda's Rawkrafted site:

Thanks. I had already ordered the file from VF before I made the thread. I’ll give it a go. If it has a hard time with the acrylic I might go with the side cutting drill bit. I have some of those, all in the wrong size. I’ll have order one if it comes to that.
Mark Tinsky has a youtube video of how to cut the button, shows using the slot funniling tool well
I’ll definitely look at it. Thanks.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I’ve got a Castello that looks like this and have desired a nice funnel but thought “don’t do it It’s a Castello”

Do we generally all agree with that sentiment?

Reactions: mingc and rushx9
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve got a Castello that looks like this and have desired a nice funnel but thought “don’t do it It’s a Castello”

I probably wouldn’t mess with a $$$$ pipe. I would just make a replacement stem for it if it were me. Use the replacement for smoking, and keep the original. I can’t say that my advice is wise, but it’s what I would do.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

No. I did it to a Butz Choquin Collection that in my mind is much more rare than any Castello.

how can that be possible? Castello is perfect. They can do no wrong. No way did an inferior product come from Castello. Just ask their price.

If it was new I would have returned it. It’s a manufacturing flaw. Friday Sangria lunch at the Castello workshop.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you're getting bitten that bad it may not be the orific bit that's causing the problem. A narrow airway will often smoke hot regardless of bit design. There are a few threads on here about airway "opening" methods that I'm not brave enough to try, but that I find very intriguing and informative.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If you're getting bitten that bad it may not be the orific bit that's causing the problem. A narrow airway will often smoke hot regardless of bit design. There are a few threads on here about airway "opening" methods that I'm not brave enough to try, but that I find very intriguing and informative.
Could be too narrow. The draw seems ok though. I may order a couple of straight stems with the Teflon tenon, drill them out, and then bend them. I’m not gonna attempt to straighten it and drill it.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
No. I did it to a Butz Choquin Collection that in my mind is much more rare than any Castello.

how can that be possible? Castello is perfect. They can do no wrong. No way did an inferior product come from Castello. Just ask their price.

If it was new I would have returned it. It’s a manufacturing flaw. Friday Sangria lunch at the Castello workshop.
Nah, it's not a flaw. It's proof that funnelled stems are overated and that orific bits (and its kin, the p-lip) work just fine, so long as the draft hole is sufficient in size.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I use both a small thin flat needle file & a slot tool (bit) to get that Y shaped draft on the button end. The slot tool is good for quick removal and the needle file squares the slot. If I’m ambitious, I’ll polish the worked area with rubbing compound & a thick pipe cleaner.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nah, it's not a flaw. It's proof that funnelled stems are overated and that orific bits (and its kin, the p-lip) work just fine, so long as the draft hole is sufficient in size.
Haha good. Very good.

they do work just fine but still concentrate the smoke on one spot. I can notice it.

and I guess this was the one Castello where they were trying this out.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Haha good. Very good.

they do work just fine but still concentrate the smoke on one spot. I can notice it.

and I guess this was the one Castello where they were trying this out.
They do concentrate the smoke but it's really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, easy not to aim the bit at the same spot all the time!

I only have one Castello. It has a slot but it's a fake slot. It's not funnelled at all. It's like a square cave, actually. It probably took a fair amount of skill to carve. In the middle of the back wall of the cave, there's a hole. It's a hidden orific hole. Very clever really! Because Castello drills its draft holes so wide, the draw is still better than most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.