PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
To top it all off, immediately after the hockey game they showed the women's team cross country skiing. The anchor for the US team made one of the guttiest finishes I've ever seen in sport. I gave her zero chance when they finished the last uphill portion. First medal ever for the US Women's Cross Country team and they made it a gold in dramatic, heroic style.
That was as a gutsy performance as I've ever witnessed, she truly gave it all and was the victor.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I really enjoyed the game. The Swedish official was trying to give the game to Canada. She didn't call the obvious 5 minute penalty on Canada for the hit to the head, but in OT she calls a penalty on the USA when two players just fell over one another fighting to get to the puck. Nothing like giving a team a power play in the last 2 minutes of OT on a hard fought play by two individuals. Wish officials would learn to let the players decide the outcome instead of imposing their influence. So glad that the USA fought off the power play and that shoot out was great. Great goals by both teams. Glad to see the USA team finally get another gold after 20 years.
As for the men's team. The kids didn't have a long enough time to practice with one another, and build up any team chemistry. The other teams have all been together for a while, and the USA team was just kind of thrown together it seems. Not a good showing on our part unfortunately.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
@Warren -- I agree with you about deciding a team game as a skill event.
@metalheadcigarguy, here's an image of a Canadian athlete showing a spirit I though you'd appreciate "m/"

effef70f2b954335a2472f5bd9a6e2b0.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a poor hockey fan. My eyesight doesn't pick up the action and my mind wanders. If I have a lot of coffee, I can get hyped and watch a game, but it's not my spectator sport of choice. It is a great game demanding of incredible skills; I see that. But the U.S. women's victory, given the current rules and accepting the shoot-out finish, was an adrenaline trip. I won't assess the rules of hockey, but for a spectator event, this was a thriller. As with the best championship games of any sort, the photo finish was inspiring, requiring enormous stamina and poise at the end. I'll give both teams an A-plus. Given these rules, that's how it's done.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I get shootouts. It's a tournament, they can't just keep playing 5 overtimes to get a winner. After 80moins the teams have proven they're equal, so why not decide it by who has the better individual talent?
The women's was a very fun tournament to watch. Good to see that game grow and evlove and just get better and better year after year.
As for the men's yeah it's a bummer then NHLers aren't there, but what the German team is doing is absolutely remarkable. They've never done this one the world stage even when the top talent was involved. Very happy for that team and wish them the best of luck in the gold medal game against Not Russia.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
From a goalie's stand point, the shootout is simply a guessing game. I'd prefer two OTS, full strength and a the possibility of a tie game. A hot goalie often precludes the "best" team from winning. If a tie breaker is necessary, look at the overall tourney and select using "goals against v goals for."
My preference would be a day's rest and another game. I write this fully realizing TV nor the Olympics would agree to that formula.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I get shootouts. It's a tournament, they can't just keep playing 5 overtimes to get a winner.
Actually they could. Prior to the shootout form, they did keep playing.
After 80moins the teams have proven they're equal, so why not decide it by who has the better individual talent?
Because it is not an individual sport, it should be decided as a team sport, played as a team...

Status
Not open for further replies.