PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
I ordered 2 pipes from cigarworld.de on July 27. I got a DHL tracking information link that says on July 30, the shipment "will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization."

The delivery organization is USPS and when I enter the tracking info into USPS, the last listing is July 30 and the status says "origin post is preparing shipment."

It's been 2 weeks now and no update to the tracking links since July 30. Should I contact cigarworld or is this delay still within the reasonable wait time for international shipping? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
UPS will likely not show any tracking information until the package is in their possession.
DHL should show tracking up until it leaves the country.
Your mileage may vary.
This.

got used to the odd tracking statuses buying cigars from Scandinavian vendors, there should be an update from the courier when they hand off to the post office then post office tracking kicks in. Sadly if they are using DHL it’s not coming to you direct, those are the best, used to order off cigar one and have my order within 48 hours via DHL granted it was $45 shipping but not bad at all. As said YMMV

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
UPS will likely not show any tracking information until the package is in their possession.
DHL should show tracking up until it leaves the country.
Your mileage may vary.

It just looks like DHL shows the pipe leaving Germany 2 weeks ago but USPS is still waiting to receive it. Is 2 weeks in transit or 2 weeks sitting in a warehouse with no update normal these days or should I inquire with cigarworld?
This.

got used to the odd tracking statuses buying cigars from Scandinavian vendors, there should be an update from the courier when they hand off to the post office then post office tracking kicks in. Sadly if they are using DHL it’s not coming to you direct, those are the best, used to order off cigar one and have my order within 48 hours via DHL granted it was $45 shipping but not bad at all. As said YMMV

What does it mean when 2 weeks have gone by from when DHL says they are handing off the package but USPS still says they don't have it? Can it take that long or should I inquire?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The vendor doesn't know any more than you do about the machinations of US Customs and UPS. It's the wild west out there when it comes to ordering from overseas. Was the package sent by air or by sea mail? Sometimes packages breeze right through, sometimes it takes days, weeks, months...sometimes they never do arrive.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It just looks like DHL shows the pipe leaving Germany 2 weeks ago but USPS is still waiting to receive it. Is 2 weeks in transit or 2 weeks sitting in a warehouse with no update normal these days or should I inquire with cigarworld?

What does it mean when 2 weeks have gone by from when DHL says they are handing off the package but USPS still says they don't have it? Can it take that long or should I inquire?
Does it say it went through customs, the only time I’ve seen a long delay is when something hits customs and it can be backed up or in a forgotten bin for a couple weeks. Barring that not sure.

if you take the tracking number to the PO and ring that little doorbell on the unmarked door the supervisor might be able to run the tracking number and help, while we just see things like “arrived at Seminole sorting facility” their information tracks every touch, every truck, every bin, a simple cross country shipment Al an actually have a trail of 50 or more entries. I’ve done with with boxes that disappeared from Florida to SD.
Good luck!

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
Does it say it went through customs, the only time I’ve seen a long delay is when something hits customs and it can be backed up or in a forgotten bin for a couple weeks. Barring that not sure.

if you take the tracking number to the PO and ring that little doorbell on the unmarked door the supervisor might be able to run the tracking number and help, while we just see things like “arrived at Seminole sorting facility” their information tracks every touch, every truck, every bin, a simple cross country shipment Al an actually have a trail of 50 or more entries. I’ve done with with boxes that disappeared from Florida to SD.
Good luck!

No mention of customs. The last entry on DHL says "The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization." Then there is a link to USPS. When I click it, it takes me to a USPS tracking page and the latest entry on that says "Processed through Facility Frankfurt/Flughaven, Germany." Both the DHL and USPS latest entries are dated July 30. Should I call DHL or USPS to sort this out? Maybe DHL since they seem to be the last ones to handle the package?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
No mention of customs. The last entry on DHL says "The shipment will be transported to the destination country/destination area and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization." Then there is a link to USPS. When I click it, it takes me to a USPS tracking page and the latest entry on that says "Processed through Facility Frankfurt/Flughaven, Germany." Both the DHL and USPS latest entries are dated July 30. Should I call DHL or USPS to sort this out? Maybe DHL since they seem to be the last ones to handle the package?
Just talked to a friend shipping a bunch of boxes from Germany and said they were having a hard time getting things out of the country. Processed through facility just means it was thrown in the “ready to be sent to America” bin, processed and departed are two very different statuses.

Reactions: paulfg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have sent/received many packages to Germany from Greece using Greek postal system and the DHL tracking always shows preparing shipment until it arrives in Germany and vice versa.
To my mind 2 weeks is not that long if DHL/Deutshe post is coming by normal standard package post.
parcels from Germany tend to take about 14 days to get to Customs and show on the Greek Postal website and it is much nearer than the US

Give it a while longer before worrying

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
Thanks, all, for your insight. I'll wait a bit longer. I knew international shipping was taking a while but I guess I had been spoiled with some really fast shipments from Smokingpipes.eu and C.Gars Ltd lately.

Reactions: anotherbob

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I just realized i had 2 boxes of Habanos shipped Aramex 2 weeks ago i looked up tracking and they’ve been sitting in an aramex building for over a week, they are another courier that does handoffs with usps, they do it in Jacksonville if i recall correctly.

0312243E-DD1D-47E1-A367-B36D956D9248.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Rockyrepose

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
You guys are good luck! I got a text notification that my package has arrived at a NY regional facility today. So hopefully I'll have it in a couple days.

• Love
Reactions: AJL67

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Items can disappear for a couple of weeks. And a couple more weeks. And a couple more after that, and more. A Customs hold up won't always show up in tracking. And the USPS will give you meaningless updates while your item disappears from view, a few days here, a few days there, until it shows up, or you find out it's been sent back.

My last order from Esterval's to 4 months to not get to me. The first month was DHL taking it's own sweet time to get it out of their warehouse. Then the USPS screwed around with it for a few months before abruptly sending it back. No mas. Life's too short.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian