PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have a somewhat different perspective. Yes they're annoying and ugly but warning labels serve an entirely valid purpose. Furthermore they wouldn't be necessary if big tobacco hadn't lied for a half century or more about the health effects of nicotine. From where I stand, warning labels are insufficient compensation for years of trickery and lying. They've had it coming my friends, every single bit of it.

Right about the cover up of health effects of smoking but it's not so much the nicotine that is the problem as inhaling the tars and other carcinogenic chemicals in the smoke. You can buy nicotine patches and lozenges online without any warnings or age limitations attached.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Hope they get the stupid warnings off the front of the tins at least. My experience as a pipe-only smoker is that the nicotine in pipe tobacco is not addictive. I never crave a pipe the way I've seen cigarette smokers crave their cigarettes. Pipe tobacco is fundamentally different from cigarettes. I wish knowledgeable people were in charge of regulations, rather than just lumping us in with cigarette smokers.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Pipe tobacco is mentioned once. Cigars is mentioned six times.

I don't quite understand the rationale behind renaming the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers (IPCPR ) to the Premium Cigar Association (PCA).

The "Premium Cigar PAC" and "Cigar Action" [1] ... Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but I certainly hope whatever they're doing they're insuring that it's inclusive of pipe tobacco as well.

[1] Advocacy: Get Involved! Premium Cigar & Pipe Tobacco | PCA - https://premiumcigars.org/advocacy/
If I had to guess I'd say the pipe manufacturers weren't paying enough dues to keep their name in it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipe tobacco is fundamentally different from cigarettes.
Not really, it's all in how it's used.

I wish knowledgeable people were in charge of regulations, rather than just lumping us in with cigarette smokers.
A bit arrogant there as many of us on the forum smoke cigarettes. The populace in general despises all tobacco users, and your smoke in their face isn't going to get a more welcome reaction than that of a cigarette.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
lumping us in with cigarette smokers.

while I believe we should have the right to smoke and buy tobacco in any form.. that's really splitting hairs. It totally makes sense to lump people together who use tobacco, it makes even more sense to lump people together who smoke tobacco.

As much as it makes me happy that pipe tobacco and cigars get more slack than cigarettes, it's pretty damn hypocritical.

It's also crazy to me when people run down the ryo pipe tobacco because its giving pipe tobacco a bad name. Prince Albert was marketed as a ryo pipe tobacco, a long ass time ago..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I have found that, in general, people are more tolerant of pipe smoking than any other form. Maybe it is just where I live that this is the case. Or maybe it is from all the cigarette butts that are thrown on the ground littering nature. Maybe it is that people like the scent of an aromatic and it reminds them of Uncle Fred. Whatever it is, pipe smoking does seem to be perceived here as different from cigarette smoking.

Oct 7, 2016
This reads like one of those granular decisions based on a procedural deficit rather than a philosophical difference. The FDA will have to do some statistical dilligence and the labels will be back. Whether any of this will have any impact on the 2021 deadlines for deeming products remains to be seen.
Administrative Procedure Act cases often hide policy disagreements in a fog of obscure technical language. I think this is such a decision, but how far it goes is anybody’s guess.

This article is as accessible and intelligent a general discussion as I have found

Even so, it has to be read very carefully. Knowing the status of the varied pending cases and just what is and isn’t at issue in them helps.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It all depends on the fanatics. The same mind set that gave us P.C and all the other headaches of early 21st century existence will just revisit the matter again. The zealot through social media can have an outsized influence on a large group disproportionate to his size and following. If in the up coming elections a certain party gains control of both chambers for decision making then I would assume we will be looking at all sorts of new and exciting forms of prohibition since it will naturally be for the children. I can see spats and hats back in fashion as the 'WoodsRoad Mob' corner the bootleg cigarette racket! rotf

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The populace in general despises all tobacco users, and your smoke in their face isn't going to get a more welcome reaction than that of a cigarette.

I just don't think that's exactly true. I used to smoke cigarettes, and I do currently smoke cigars, and I've gotten every type of response from passive-aggressive fake coughing to hostile confrontation from people about it in response to cigars and cigarettes. The reactions to my pipes have been much more positive, and there is reason to believe pipes are viewed differently.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I just don't think that's exactly true. I used to smoke cigarettes, and I do currently smoke cigars, and I've gotten every type of response from passive-aggressive fake coughing to hostile confrontation from people about it in response to cigars and cigarettes. The reactions to my pipes have been much more positive, and there is reason to believe pipes are viewed differently.

Recent experience smoking some cigars when out and about has been very different from when I am smoking a pipe, much worse than when I smoked cigarettes. It's likely due to Greece having a huge number of cigarette smokers, and cigars having a "fat cat capitalist/Tony Soprano wannabe" connotation over here, while pipe being a bit of a curiosity, looking and occasionally smelling OKish.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawdawg and jpmcwjr

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
One time I was sitting on bench outside a store waiting for m'lady to finish her shopping when this old bat walked up, and started doing a fake cough. I said, "You ought to see a psychiatrist about that fake cough, lady". She stared, grunted, went inside the store, and didn't say a word to me.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I recently went to get a physical from a new Doctor. They went through the motions and asked me if I smoked? I said I smoke a pipe daily and occasionally a cigar when the the mood strikes me. She asked how often I smoked a pipe? I said anywhere between 1-6 bowls or as time will allow. She said is that a lot? I said well that depends...I’m aware of folks that just smoke once or twice a week & folks that never have a pipe from their lips. I quickly realized that this nice young lady had no idea how to measure the significance of pipe smoking relatively to cigarette smoking...interesting & funny!☕

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The last time I got a nasty look for pipe smoking in public, I decided to confront the passive aggressive jerk. I told her if she didn’t like it, she can get the hell out of the bathroom.
That's nothing. I was driving & smoking a cigar the other day and some lady started yelling at me and cussing me out and telling me I was ruining the health of our community. Boy, it got me so angry, I almost dropped my beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.