PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Tyrants (big & small) do what they can get away with. They also tend to be very sanctimonious about ‘saving you’ & banning your personal pleasures/vices - but Not their own.

Example: Quite a few states that have gone full bore against pipe tobacco, also have ‘legal’ weed shops in every city & town. Weed shops also in the middle of nowhere - with a gas station/mini grocery store as the only other businesses there.
The 1960s & 70s stoners ‘grew up’ and that was the result. We pipe smokers are a very small group with little money & political pull (the two are related) - so it’s open season on us.

Rant off

Mac

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
This has always been my concern as well. Thankfully tobacco to North Carolinians is like ice to Eskimos so if anything I imagine it'd be one of the last bastions to fall.

Still there's concern at the federal level or even USPS no longer allowing it which would effectively kill online ordering outright.
No, shipping would start to cost a little more and would be through UPS and the ilk ...

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Last time I shipped a pipe a couple months ago, I had a question with customs. And the lady at the desk made sure it was a "tobacco pipe" and had no tobacco in it. Not allowed to ship tobacco in Wisconsin anymore.
Are you sue about that? Haven’t tried in 2023 yet, but it looks like I could make a purchase with SP.com. And there’s nothing on that page of new laws regarding Wisconsin.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It seems the Missouri legislature is considering outlawing those lighters that whistle and glow lights, or look like toys.

Last year’s House Bill

407.918. 1. No supplier of novelty lighters in this state, including a manufacturer,
2 distributor, importer, retailer, or anyone giving away novelty lighters as prizes or
3 promotions, shall sell or give away operable novelty lighters. This subsection shall not
4 apply to the transportation of novelty lighters through this state or the storage of novelty
5 lighters in a warehouse or distribution center in this state that is closed to the public for
6 purposes of retail sales.
7 2. As used in this section, "novelty lighter" means a mechanical or electrical device
8 typically used for lighting cigarettes, cigars, or pipes that has entertaining audio or visual
9 effects, or that resembles in physical form or function articles commonly recognized as
10 appealing to or intended for use by children under eighteen years of age. This includes,
11 but is not limited to, lighters that resemble cartoon characters, toys, guns, watches, musical
12 instruments, vehicles, animals, food or beverages, or that play musical notes, have flashing
13 lights, or other entertaining features.

Novelty lighters may operate on any fuel, including
14 butane, isobutylene, or liquid fuel.
15 3. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following:

16 (1) Lighters that were made before January 1, 1980, or that are considered to be
17 collectable items;

(2) Lighters incapable of being fueled or lacking a device necessary to produce combustion or a flame;
(3) Any mechanical or electrical device primarily used to ignite fuel for fireplaces or for charcoal or gas grills; or
(4) Standard disposable and refillable lighters that are printed or decorated with logos, labels, decals, artwork, or heat-shrinkable sleeves.

4. Violation of this section is a class D misdemeanor.

—-

The sponsor is a conservative farmer who farms 2,000 acres.

I found this 2008 article about the hazards of novelty lighters.

My objection to the cheap novelty lighters sold at gas stations is I cannot refill any of them I’ve tried.

This isn’t a nefarious bill. The farmer that proposed it is no doubt well intentioned.

But for every new criminal the State of Missouri creates, they should be required to decriminalize at least one sinner.:)

My favorite Missouri felony, since at least 1909:

Explosives prohibited--penalty.

252.220. 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to place any explosive substance or preparation in any of the waters of this state, whereby any fish which may inhabit said waters may be killed, injured or destroyed; and no person, by any such means, shall kill, catch or take any fish from said waters; provided, however, that explosive substances or preparations may be used in said waters, but only with the permission and under the supervision of the commission.

2. Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be fined not less than two hundred dollars, nor more than one thousand dollars, or by imprisonment in the state penitentiary for not more than two years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, for each such offense.

(RSMo 1939 § 8926, A.L. 1945 p. 664 § 20)

Prior revisions: 1929 § 8266; 1919 § 5615; 1909 § 6537

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
This has always been my concern as well. Thankfully tobacco to North Carolinians is like ice to Eskimos so if anything I imagine it'd be one of the last bastions to fall.

Still there's concern at the federal level or even USPS no longer allowing it which would effectively kill online ordering outright.
A drive to Myrtle Beach is always a great trip from NC. Hello cellar, let’s introduce some new friends. Lol

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Last night my wife and I were on the highway and it began icing.

We counted five big MODOT maintenance salt trucks with flashing lights preparing to salt the roads.

Taxes pay for that service. No private company would do it.

You hear people say they don’t mind paying taxes for services such as that.

Bullsxxt.

They want the other fellow to pay the taxes. Try raising their own taxes and watch them howl.

When you see all the huge remnants of Ancient Egypt, Rome, and Greece, those were paid for by taxes. Taxes are necessary for civilization.

What’s wrong with tobacco taxes is the taxes are levied not to raise revenue, but to depress demand.

The USA federal tax today on smoking tobacco is $2.88 a pound, probably roughly based on the average contract price a pound, or 100% of what the farmer gets. The Missouri tax is 10% of what the retailer pays to the tobacco companies. The consumer pays the final tab.

Look at the difference when the state really wants to maximize revenue:
——-
Three percent is the highest city sales tax allowed under Missouri's Amendment 3, which legalized recreational marijuana use for those 21 and older. Separately, the state will also charge a 6% sales tax on all recreational marijuana purchases.

———

When the federal government does legalize marijuana the tax rate will be only a fraction of the taxes imposed on tobacco.

I predict in due course of time the same governments scrambling for extra revenue from marijuana will punitively tax it to depress demand.

Breathing smoke is not a good idea, you know?

Reactions: Al Gore Rhythm

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Last night my wife and I were on the highway and it began icing.

We counted five big MODOT maintenance salt trucks with flashing lights preparing to salt the roads.

Taxes pay for that service. No private company would do it.

You hear people say they don’t mind paying taxes for services such as that.

Bullsxxt.

They want the other fellow to pay the taxes. Try raising their own taxes and watch them howl.

When you see all the huge remnants of Ancient Egypt, Rome, and Greece, those were paid for by taxes. Taxes are necessary for civilization.

What’s wrong with tobacco taxes is the taxes are levied not to raise revenue, but to depress demand.

The USA federal tax today on smoking tobacco is $2.88 a pound, probably roughly based on the average contract price a pound, or 100% of what the farmer gets. The Missouri tax is 10% of what the retailer pays to the tobacco companies. The consumer pays the final tab.

Look at the difference when the state really wants to maximize revenue:
——-
Three percent is the highest city sales tax allowed under Missouri's Amendment 3, which legalized recreational marijuana use for those 21 and older. Separately, the state will also charge a 6% sales tax on all recreational marijuana purchases.

———

When the federal government does legalize marijuana the tax rate will be only a fraction of the taxes imposed on tobacco.

I predict in due course of time the same governments scrambling for extra revenue from marijuana will punitively tax it to depress demand.

Breathing smoke is not a good idea, you know?
Hello BriarLee and all others.
Here in good ol New Zealand our tobacco tax is around US$460 a pound. Yes that’s in US dollars. And then there is GST (goods and services tax) on top of that at 15%. Yaay!

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
NV doesn't dare deny liquor, whores, the very profitable pipe smoking substance the admins have lodged rectally, or tobacco. Did you see what happenend to the little mining town outside Elko when the county imposed a 50% tax on brothels? Nobody opened on Friday night and the town was on fire by 11 PM.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
NV doesn't dare deny liquor, whores, the very profitable pipe smoking substance the admins have lodged rectally, or tobacco. Did you see what happenend to the little mining town outside Elko when the county imposed a 50% tax on brothels? Nobody opened on Friday night and the town was on fire by 11 PM.
Canadians just bend over and receive all that is given (taken) from us like the good little bitches they want us to be.

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
Canadians just bend over and receive all that is given (taken) from us like the good little bitches they want us to be.
Not part of the Empire but somehow you still have the cross-dressing, German, King Chuck Saxe-Coburg.

Nothing against cross dressers. I'm a Scot by heritage many of my ancestors landed in New Scots. Kilt and tartan regulation are filthy Saxon lies. The Romans built a dwarf wall, the Saxons appropriated the culture. North America has the only real Scots (non-saxon) left.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Since these bills have only just been introduced—and there’s no certainty that any will actually pass into law—I think the thread title is a bit alarmist. Many bills are introduced that don’t pass or are changed dramatically over the months or years it may take for them to wend their ways through the legislature.