PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
And this is why cellaring tobacco matters

North Dakota: House Bill 1357 prohibits the shipping of tobacco products to any consumer in the state by sellers located within or outside the state; requires the sale of tobacco products to any consumer to be face-to-face transactions.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015

North Dakota: House Bill 1357 prohibits the shipping of tobacco products to any consumer in the state by sellers located within or outside the state; requires the sale of tobacco products to any consumer to be face-to-face transactions.
Bad for pipe smokers but possible good for B&Ms.

I found a couple to be interesting. Like this one:
West Virginia: House Bill 2399 repeals provision prohibiting employers from discriminating for use of tobacco products.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
The smart states don't ban it, but just enact state and excise tax collection so they get what they want out of it....revenue. Who cares where it comes from as long as they get their due tax collection, which is fine.
I can see annual purchase trips for folks in the future. Already happening with cigarettes in NY.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The smart states don't ban it, but just enact state and excise tax collection so they get what they want out of it....revenue. Who cares where it comes from as long as they get their due tax collection, which is fine.
Last time I shipped a pipe a couple months ago, I had a question with customs. And the lady at the desk made sure it was a "tobacco pipe" and had no tobacco in it. Not allowed to ship tobacco in Wisconsin anymore.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Last time I shipped a pipe a couple months ago, I had a question with customs. And the lady at the desk made sure it was a "tobacco pipe" and had no tobacco in it. Not allowed to ship tobacco in Wisconsin anymore.
It’s such short sighted vision to ban vs. enact out of state tax collection, regardless of the item because people will go elsewhere to buy what they want. It just becomes a revenue loss for the state on a legal item otherwise.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The liberal do-gooders just won't let it go. They're torturing us like we were some kinds of maniacs that are going to take their children to hell. Bulletin your kids are going to hell anyway because you haven't a clue how to raise them ("My kid wouldn't lie to me").
Between taxing us for everything under the sun and implying the problem it is our fault there's the never-ending battle with them trying to make smoking totally illegal.
And our response to this is to keep voting those same people into office.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The liberal do-gooders just won't let it go. They're torturing us like we were some kinds of maniacs that are going to take their children to hell. Bulletin your kids are going to hell anyway because you haven't a clue how to raise them ("My kid wouldn't lie to me").
Between taxing us for everything under the sun and implying the problem it is our fault there's the never-ending battle with them trying to make smoking totally illegal.
And our response to this is to keep voting those same people into office.
The do-gooders are not party specific.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

apparently, they had adopted this style of controlling retail sales and tobacconist businesses somewhere in Scandinavia.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The do-gooders are not party specific.
North Dakota is as close to having an all Republican legislature as it can have, about 90%.

The North Dakota bill is a sort of protective measure to help tobacco merchants in North Dakota.

In North Dakota, pipe tobacco is taxed at 28% of the wholesale price.

In 2021 North Dakota took in 52 million dollars in taxes and master agreement payments.

North Dakota received $52.1 million(estimated) in revenue from tobacco settlement payments and taxes in fiscal year 2021. Of this, the state allocated $5.4 million in state funds to tobacco prevention in fiscal year 2021, 55.5% of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's annual spending target.

—-

North Dakota isn’t hurting for tax money at all, thanks to oil revenue.

—-
BISMARCK — Amid higher-than-expected oil tax collections, North Dakota is well-positioned to cut income tax, spend big on infrastructure projects and tackle persistent labor shortages, said Gov. Doug Burgum during an address to lawmakers on Wednesday, Dec. 7.

The Republican governor released an $18.4 billion state budget proposal for 2023-2025 that would raise spending by 3.4% over the current two-year budget. The blueprint includes a $5.9 billion general fund, up from the $5 billion spent from the state's main checking account in the current budget.

Burgum's proposal would be the biggest budget in state history, though the governor noted that high inflation and massive infusions of federal money drive up the dollar figure.

The Legislature will convene for its regular session in January to craft the budget, which will become active on July 1, 2023.

—-

Still yet, North Dakota pipe smokers might be wise to stock up on pipe tobacco.

It’s not so much they think tobacco hurts the children, it’s that they just don’t care about you getting in exotic imported tobaccos.

You should be able to buy all the Half and Half and Prince Albert you want in North Dakota, for a long time to come.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
Now many more employers will pull a Scotts Lawn Products and force employees to quit all tobacco use.
My employer has had a no-tobacco hiring policy since before I started with them. We're a large airline based on the US west coast but flying all over several countries. This hiring policy keeps health insurance costs down; they actually nicotine test along with your pre-employment drug test.

However, it has been determined to be unenforceable for current employees. Thus, after you're hired you will never be nicotine tested again and there is no enforcement for current employees. I don't smoke enough for it to matter to me either way, but we have guys who were hired before the policy and some hired after who subsequently developed heavy cigarette habits and smoke openly with no problems ;).

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My employer has had a no-tobacco hiring policy since before I started with them. We're a large airline based on the US west coast but flying all over several countries. This hiring policy keeps health insurance costs down; they actually nicotine test along with your pre-employment drug test.

However, it has been determined to be unenforceable for current employees. Thus, after you're hired you will never be nicotine tested again and there is no enforcement for current employees. I don't smoke enough for it to matter to me either way, but we have guys who were hired before the policy and some hired after who subsequently developed heavy cigarette habits and smoke openly with no problems ;).
Here’s my concern.

Three people call me boss and four call me landlord.

Can I dictate to them if they drink booze?

Or use tobacco?

Or weed, now legal in Missouri?

Or have firearms?

Since I was raised up to judge not, lest I be judged, I won’t even think of it.

But a private tyrant is perhaps worse than a public one.

The public tyrant is limited by the voters, the legislature, the courts and the constitution in their desire to oppress.

We can by legal and peaceful means throw the public tyrant out of office.

But a private busybody is limited only by their own conscience and their God, if they have a God other than that handsome Devil they see each morning when they shave.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Honestly, I'm just surprised that cross-border shipping is still legal. Hopefully it stays that way
This has always been my concern as well. Thankfully tobacco to North Carolinians is like ice to Eskimos so if anything I imagine it'd be one of the last bastions to fall.

Still there's concern at the federal level or even USPS no longer allowing it which would effectively kill online ordering outright.