Unusual pipe?!?!? Peterson system 361???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerrob

Lurker
May 15, 2015
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information on this pipe?
The seller claims it is a Peterson System 361, made in England and approximately 45 years old!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271866898060?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have researched Peterson System pipes and have never come across a 361.
Im aware of the old grading system, for example:
1st class = O 314

2nd class = 314

3rd class = 362
So we know its 3rd class, however, Ive also never heard of a 311, only a 301, which it looks nothing like.
Any experts out there want to solve this puzzle? :)
Thanks in advance
Rob

pokerrob

Lurker
May 15, 2015
All I can find is this...
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=55381
Which obviously looks nothing like it.
I'm starting to think the seller is mistaken and its actually just a Peterson system 3 367, mistaking the 7 for a 1. The system 2 would be a 317.
Ill email the seller and see what he/she says!

milestone11

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
In shape, it's identical to a 314. I have a couple of mid '70's 316's which are identical in shape but they are red stained rustic meerschaum. The e bay pipe is not meerschaum, that's for sure.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
If I'm not mistaken, from what I remember reading on Pipedia, the "Made in England" in a circle format dates from the same time as the "Made in Eire" pipes, and possibly the later "Made in Ireland" pipes in the same circle format. These are all pre-republic pipes, dating as early as 1938 up to 1949. So this is an older pipe than the seller realizes. It looks to be in nice condition, but I don't know about the idea that it was smoked only a couple of times. It seems to be almost too clean of condition for a pipe of that age, even if it wasn't smoked much. I suspect that it has been cleaned up, but still not in a damaging way. I don't know much about the Peterson shape numbers, but I know that they have changed numbers for their shapes over time.

Great looking old pipe though, and it might go for a fair price!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
It has a few bowl dings, but the stem looks in good shape. It might go cheap. It looks like you would need magnification for a shot at seeing the all the nomenclature.

From Pipedia on Made In England Petes:

5. English made Peterson pipes actually spans between the pre-Republic and Republic eras. In 1895, Peterson opened a shop in London England that lasted until the late 1950s or early 1960s. So the English Era, for a simplified date, will be from 1895 through 1959. The stamps Peterson used in London and that we have seen are;
Made in England - block format

Made in England - circle format

Made in London

Made in London England

Simply, London England.

Great Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.