Unsmoked Grade 7 Straight Grain W.O. Larsen. Info requested.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I just bought an entire collection of pipes and tobacco from a super nice ex-Marine who didn't plan to smoke after moving. Among the pipes is this W.O. Larsen straight grain grade 7, unsmoked. It's stunning and exquisitely made. I'm fairly certain it pre-dates the Stanwell versions, but only because there's no indication of it being a Stanwell and it seems too well-made. Can anyone help me verify that? Also, any idea of when it was made? Any other info about the model and possibly the maker would be appreciated.
I'm really on the fence about smoking this stunner. It could be fairly valuable and I expect the value is much greater being unsmoked. On the other hand, it's SO damned beautiful....!
_DSC0861-L.jpg

_DSC0865-L.jpg

_DSC0864-L.jpg

Reactions: Jshogan2

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Information courtesy of Rob Cooper,
There were three periods of pipe craftsmanship that took place during the tenure of Ole Larsen's ownership and stewardship of the Larsen name.
The first period, or the "Copenhagen Era" (Very early 1960's to the early 1970's) (The pipes were stamped "Larsen (over) Copenhagen") are the ones that have dominated my pipe collection. They are the pipes that were crafted by Poul Rasmussen (the former husband of Anne Julie), Sven Knudsen (Teddy's older brother and mentor), and Hans "Former" Nielsen (when he was just a youngster!). These pipes were produced in two series - numbered standard shapes and one of a kind "Straight Grain" handmade freehands. The pipes of this era were crafted from Algerian briar, according to my friend Former Nielsen (he would know!). There were even two series of the numbered pipes, as the production facility suffered a fire and the master shapes had to be re-carved! The "Straight Grain" pipes were typically stamped from F, then 1 to 6 in ascending grade order. There were no "Pearls" crafted at this time. The highest grades were stamped as high as an "8", but these were extremely rare. The stamping grades of from this era were much more stringent than in later times. The majority of the "Straight Grain" pipes from this era were finished in a light to medium natural stain. Most shank adornments were crafted from buffalo horn of a lighter color. These "Copenhagen" era pipes are considered by pipe collectors around the world as the most desirable, as these are prime examples of mid century modern Danish design that were crafted by the early masters of the pipe making art. These are the most organic looking and the most important as far market desirability is concerned.
The second period (Mid 1970's to the mid to late 1980's) is the most famous period, as this is the era of Teddy Knudsen, Tonni Nielsen, and Former Nielsen, along with the occasional pipe crafted by Jess Chonowitsch, Peter Hedegaard, PH Vigen, and a few others. These pipes were stamped "Larsen Hand Made in Denmark" with no "Copenhagen" stamping. The staining of the bowls were more varied than the era before. The pipes crafted during this time began to show a more refined shaping, and the use of adornment materials expanded from lighter colored horn to now a darker color, bamboo, ivory, amber composite both for trim and stem work, and later in this period, some exotic hardwood for the trim, as Ole had explained to me that ivory was not as stable on airplane shipping and would sometimes arrive cracked. The pipes of this era are the most commonly found.
The third era was from the mid to late 1980's until the firm was sold in the late 1990's. The font stampings on the pipes is different - more modernized. Benni Jorgensen was the primary carver of the straight grain pipes at this time.
I would say your pipe is from the last period, and likely carved by Benni Jorgensen (best guess).
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Benni_Pipes
See another nice W.O Larsen pipe with similar wood trim here,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/File:WoLarsen10sg2.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I agree with Dave, as far as era it was carved. However by the bowl shape, application style, and stem I would guess most likely carved by Peter Hedegaard.
After seeing the linked pipe at Scandpipes, I think you may be right!
phlarsen-600x337.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Any idea on value? I'm feeling a little guilty and am considering sending the fellow a check. If I did smoke it, any SWAGs on how much I'd be decreasing the value, by percentage. I'm strongly leaning toward smoking it the day I retire, which isn't far off.
I got this one, a new Savinelli churchwarden, an Erik Nording Signature freehand, another Nording freehand, an OomPaul Monstrosity, a new McArthur cob, and a few lesser pipes, along with maybe 25 unopened tins of unopened high quality tobacco (Escudo, Squadron Leader, Maltese Falcon, Frog Morton, for example) and a pile of Sutliff Private Reserve giveaways from the Chicagoland Pipe Show for less than half of what I now expect this pipe might be worth. He knew it was somewhat valuable. He mentioned a value of $350, but now I'm thinking that's low. He wanted it all to go to a good home. Honestly, I'm new enough to pipe smoking and collecting that I hadn't even been aware of W.O. Larsen. The tobacco was heavy on VaPers and VaBurs. At this point, Im more into English and some lightly flavored aromatics. I wasn't wild about the Erik Nording Signature, but now that I've smoked it, I absolutely LOVE it! Feels great in my hand and smokes beautifully.
Anyway, I didn't realize the actual value and wasn't sure I really wanted a lot of the stuff all that much, so I talked him down $50. Now I'm thinking that he was giving me a better deal that he needed to from the start.

Reactions: docrameous

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Boy if I was looking for a Larsen for smoking I would have grabbed that one. If Peter Hedegaard carved that I own two of his pipes, one a mid grade and one a high grade, got them for $325 and $400. I think you got some great stuff, regards.

banjo

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm far less knowledgeable than the other guys here, but it's definitely worth several hundred dollars (smoked or unsmoked). Smoking it would probably reduce the resale value by a hundred dollars or so at least, but it really depends on whether collectors have a particular interest in this pipe and in whomever (likely) made it.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I think $450 isn't obscene and I don't think you should feel guilty at that amount, IMHO.

banjo

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
:clap: Congratulations on the (upcoming) retirement!! I missed this post the first time around......... What a lovely Pipe!!......... Here's to many good smokes.......... :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Good to know you're going to smoke that beauty. My opinion on pipes... if it has a drilled chamber, drilled shank, and a stem.... it's meant to be smoked :clap:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I was on my way from work to the railway station in Helsingor smoking a sandblast Dunhill dublin shape.There came this man and said to me " I can see you are smoking a Dunhill.You could not have bought it by yourself".

I said " To be honest, yes I did,but you are right, it is a bad smoker "

Later I found out that the man was Peter Hedegaard on his way to his job at the museum.

Reactions: docrameous
Status
Not open for further replies.