PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Maybe too much glycerine? Since they moved out of the old factory something has changed with the twists with the exception of the Black Twist (Used to be called something very un-P.C when I was younger) since they all are great for chewing but need a fair amount of effort to get ready for the pipe!

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
You said that it seemed like it had reached maximum drying but won't stay lit. I'd wager it's still too wet . If your area is high in humidity, sitting out tobacco doesn't do much good when it comes to SG and even McClelland flakes. Some SG flakes can be downright saturated with moisture. Microwave a small amount for a short amount of time on a paper towel. Say 10 seconds or so. Feel it in your hands it'll likely be warm and still damp. But more importantly feel the paper towel. Can you feel moisture in the towel? That will tell you if there's still too much moisture in the tobacco. Do it again until it's dried out. But it can be a fine line between too wet and dust.
Good luck.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
+1 on 10 seconds in the microwave oven.

If that doesn’t work try 10 more seconds. If that doesn’t work I think you have discovered tobacco scented asbestos and should market it as flame resistant insulation for home improvements.

mariorossi

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2018
Italy
Thanks everybody for the help.
Yesterday i did another try (after putting the tobacco for 3h in direct incredibly hot sun) and, nothing, this tobacco dont' want to burn. I'm starting to get really frustrated, i think I alredy wasted more than 10 bowl.
I dont have a microwave, and to be fair i dont like the idea of baking tobacco, because it wil change the flavor.
That being said, this is a desperate situation, i will try to put it in the oven.
If this don't work out, I will gladly give away the whole batch to anyone who come to Italy, maybe they can smoke this stuff.

Thanks again

Reactions: ofafeather

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I am a fan of 1792 and while it's always needed some dry time I have not tried any recent tines (They have been out of stock!). I'd be a bit surprised to learn that the manufacturer made a change to processes and recipe's they have used for so long. But maybe there have been some changes at the company.

You know how it goes....the older generation that built it and maintained it to make the product we all know...moves on. A new crop of younger people with bright ideas comes in and "improves" things...and everything goes right down the toilet.

Again - I hope not.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks everybody for the help.
Yesterday i did another try (after putting the tobacco for 3h in direct incredibly hot sun) and, nothing, this tobacco dont' want to burn. I'm starting to get really frustrated, i think I alredy wasted more than 10 bowl.
I dont have a microwave, and to be fair i dont like the idea of baking tobacco, because it wil change the flavor.
That being said, this is a desperate situation, i will try to put it in the oven.
If this don't work out, I will gladly give away the whole batch to anyone who come to Italy, maybe they can smoke this stuff.

Thanks again
Have you fully rubbed it out?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a footnote, the only blend I've encountered with the problem is a half jam jar of 1-Q I've had for years that is always extremely moist. It smokes alright, but never dries. I smoke it once or twice a year ... out of perversity I guess. And the garbage can is right there.

• Haha
Reactions: lawdawg and BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
284 Date code would be July of 2019, so it’s relatively recent.

They do use something that leaves sort of a dull sheen on the tobacco when it’s dried, don’t know what...

The factories merged about 5 years ago. So the idea that something has changed recently in that respect is absurd. Also that a younger management is monkeying with the recipe I find hard to believe. There was an interview with the guy who is running the show, Chris Gawith I believe, last year. One thing he mentioned was trying to make the processes consistent, as each employee kinda had there own way of doing things in the past which lead to some inconsistencies.

The pressed tobacco is quite dense, and drying takes quite a while. Rubbing it out by hand still leaves bits of tobacco that can be quite thick and the layers of tobacco hold moisture quite well.

I usually run mine through a small coffee grinder to break the bits up, which works quite well.

As for Humecants, glycerol, glycerine, glycol or whatever, I don’t see any evidence of that, and under British law it’s not allowed.

I think the biggest problem is that people pack this stuff too densely and that’s what causes problems. Cube cutting does allow for looser pack and better smokeability.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Last edited:
Reactions: yaddy306

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I tend to believe what I’ve read here...

I'm not questioning Gawith's policy; however, when they say
England has some pretty strict rules on additives, preservatives, and humectants
they are not contradicting what I posted. The strict rule is that in the UK, you are allowed to have as much as 15% glycerin in a pipe tobacco.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The focus in Gawith's writeup is not that they are merely obeying the law, it is that the integrity of their tobacco sets it apart from others:

... there's really no other manufacturer like Gawith and Hoggarth.

Status
Not open for further replies.