PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I really want a churchwarden as the part of me that isn't a church lady is a hobbit. Any you'd suggest?
If you are shopping online, look at the Savinelli churchwardens. I have a 601 that is a good smoker.
If you want one a little shorter, I have a Savinelli Ginger's Favorite that I consider a short churchwarden.

Since you are near Birmingham you could also make a trip to The Briary in Homewood. He has some nice pipes and may have a churchwarden or two.

Reactions: churchlady

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I mostly wanted to say thank y'all to everyone. I've only been smoking a pipe for less than a month, but I've found so much information on this forum that has helped me already.

I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco and cigars and have been curious about smoking in general, but until recently I guess I just assumed that A. they were all bad for you B. dude things, and C. something my husband would give me serious side eye about. Well, B was a pretty accurate assumption, but at this point my husband is actually sending me out on the porch after supper. Wonderful how even a short pipe break can get me back in the game.

I started with a couple of cheap MMs and recently bought a no name briar off of ebay. The learning curve is still curving (tongue bite lingering as I write), but overall I think I'm improving slowly.

As for myself - I've been married for close to 20years; we've got a bunch of kids, and some weeks I do feel like I'm at church every time the doors are open!
I will be honest with you. The whole dude thing girl thing blah blah always seemed o.k. but a bit of the ole B.S.. In as much as the individual taste means more and some of these things seem intrinsic while others fit in the wait last week that was on the other side (or if it's really a guy thing don't worry the guys will keep doing it). Tobacco was a man thing then it was an everybody thing and then some was a guy thing and some an everybody thing.) .
But the real reason I am writing is the statement a bunch of kids. Gives me an image of you trying to count them but Tyler #2 keeps running around and just making it impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: draysniro
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Have we met before?
I grew up in the Golden Triangle and I have family to live in Lumberton, Vidor and Orange.
Graduated from South Park High School in Beaumont in 1971.
I don’t believe I have had the pleasure. I started off in Shreveport, Louisiana and spent most of my childhood in Groves Tx. Went to PNG Highschool until the very end when I went to graduate at Eagle Charter Academy in Beaumont. Alway love coming across others from seTx. We come from a very unique culture. I have family all over the place down there Bridge City, Port Arthur, Fannett. I think I am the only one in the family that left home.

Last edited:
Reactions: pappymac

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
I will be honest with you. The whole dude thing girl thing blah blah always seemed o.k. but a bit of the ole B.S.. In as much as the individual taste means more and some of these things seem intrinsic while others fit in the wait last week that was on the other side (or if it's really a guy thing don't worry the guys will keep doing it). Tobacco was a man thing then it was an everybody thing and then some was a guy thing and some an everybody thing.) .
But the real reason I am writing is the statement a bunch of kids. Gives me an image of you trying to count them but Tyler #2 keeps running around and just making it impossible.
Ok, so true story. I'm the oldest of five kids, and when we had four kids my mom would be counting heads and always trying to count up to five. She got tired of trying to count a kid who wasn't there, so that's how we ended up with my youngest brother!

I was once counting heads and kept looking for the missing kid........only to realize I was holding her 🤦‍♀️

Yeah, I was partially joking about the guy thing. If I really thought it was a problem I'd have joined as HobbitPiper37 or something like that.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I mostly wanted to say thank y'all to everyone. I've only been smoking a pipe for less than a month, but I've found so much information on this forum that has helped me already.

I've always liked the smell of pipe tobacco and cigars and have been curious about smoking in general, but until recently I guess I just assumed that A. they were all bad for you B. dude things, and C. something my husband would give me serious side eye about. Well, B was a pretty accurate assumption, but at this point my husband is actually sending me out on the porch after supper. Wonderful how even a short pipe break can get me back in the game.

I started with a couple of cheap MMs and recently bought a no name briar off of ebay. The learning curve is still curving (tongue bite lingering as I write), but overall I think I'm improving slowly.

As for myself - I've been married for close to 20years; we've got a bunch of kids, and some weeks I do feel like I'm at church every time the doors are open!
A. I am a physician, not good for you but not as bad as some may make you believe. B. yeah it is mainly dudes, but if you enjoy it there is no barrier. C. Your husband will adjust, probably better than most of our wives. I am lucky- I have been married for 30+ years and have 6 kids. How many is a "bunch"? I want to know it I qualify.

Lot's of good information on the forum for tongue bite. 2 biggest mistakes we all make starting out is choosing a wet aromatic and smoking fast. You will improve quickly. If you have stuck with it so far, you will keep figuring it out.

-Doc

The more reading I've done about tobacco and nicotine the less I'm convinced that it's actually dangerous - or at the very least any more dangerous than any of the medications that are readily prescribed for depression/anxiety/adhd/etc.

I had just gotten my pipe when we jumped into a really busy/stressful week, and my husband has amazed that I came out the other side so calm. If stress kills that I figure I'm probably staying on the right side of the equation with my pipe a day routine.
I’m the same. Both my grandfathers smoked, one a pipe the other roll-ups, both lived well into their 70s which was the average for the time. They lived in London which, at the time was filthy. I once saw a tv programme that showed a smoker’s lung and they then showed the lungs of a non-smoker living in London and that was worse than the smoker! My grandmothers smoked cigarette, one of them 3 packs a day! She quit cold turkey at 70 years old and died of an apple pie at 82 (she was diabetic and scoffed the lot one day). She had a great sense of humour and I remember her laughing with me in the hospital saying “I never thought an apple pie would be the undoing of me!” So, I don’t think one or two pipes a few times a week is anything to worry about anymore, especially with the state of the world as it is. Relax and enjoy your pipe and let the worries disappear with the smoke is now my credo.

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Welcome from New Mexico! I too am a lady pipe smoker. And have had gotten unfriendly looks and comments. But mostly just from nonsmokers. The folks on this forum are very welcoming and helpful. Smoking a pipe is definitely calming. Enjoy! By the way, I love your signature line. Yeah, who needs pills! :)

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas

Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Howdy and Welcome from Idaho!
I’ve spent some quality time in LA, Lower Alabama, at Fort Rucker. Discovered boiled peanuts while there!