PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Topped: mild to medium added substance
Cased: heavy addition
Scented: most especially used to describe the additives of Lakeland tobacco, usually medium to full

Reactions: Kayro and B.Fee

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I started smoking Union Square in September. It is the first Pease blend I've ever smoked. Not bad at all and smokes good in any type of pipe. I've only been smoking Newminster 400 for the past two days and so far I'm liking it more then Union Square, but I highly recommend both blends. I've smoked two pouches of St. Bruno Ready Rubbed and although it's a good OTC blend I never purchased anymore. I may buy some of the flake to see if it's better then the ready rubbed.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Just bought a pound of Newminster SNF - it's a nice smoke but I've jarred 15oz to age.
So I guess I'll find out for myself whether I prefer fresh or aged.

Fresh PS Luxury Navy Flake tastes better to me than aged. Go figure. [Although the aged Flakes jar note is delicious]

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I recently posted a thread asking for VA suggestions as, up until now, the only VA I have come to enjoy is Royal Yacht. This site did not disappoint. I received great suggestions and settled on trying Union Square, Newminster, and St. Bruno.

I'm not great at writing reviews, but hopefully this will at least give some indication of how these blends behave.

Union Square
I liked this blend the least of the three, so I've decided to cellar it and see what happens after a while. It came at a moisture ready to smoke I thought right out of the tin. It was easy to pack, light, and keep lit. Overall, the blend was for the most part uneventful for me. Most of the way it seemed as though I was smoking a decent quality cigarette. I know its tobacco, but to me this lacked enough complexity to really keep me interested. The flavor did not change much throughout the bowl. Hay and grass highlighted the smoke, but not in enough of a pronounced way. It was just a stale, basic, experience for me.

St. Bruno
I enjoyed this smoke after I stopped trying to analyze it. It took about 20 min of air drying to get it to a decent moisture level. The topping, which out of the tin is very strong in smell, I have read many people detest. I actually think its a preservative of vinegar if I'm not mistaken. It grew on me throughout the smoke, but only after I stopped trying to figure out if I liked it or not. I don't really need to break down the complexity of flavors in this blend, because I believe I can sum it all up with 1 sentence: It tastes like OGS without a topping. I've read OGS has a topping, and I've read it doesn't. Either way, whatever that floral scent is in OGS its distinct. There is a name for it, I've since forgotten. But it's the main thing I don't like about OGS. About halfway through the bowl though, the OGS natural, rich, tobacco flavor really shines for me, and that's what St. Bruno was like for me.

Newminster
For me, this blend was absolutely delicious, complex, and full of character. It took about 20 min to air dry to a decent moisture level. It was easy to light and keep lit. The tin note is exceptional, not like fresh pastry, but more like walking into a place where pastry is made very day. The scent of the place itself is simply a pastry aroma, but it's not trying to be. The note carries into the smoke, if smoked cool. But if you heat it up a little, a new dimension emerges, it moves from bready to grass, hay, and a bit of citrus. Push it too hard though and it warns you by becoming a bit rough and bland. Thats ok though, I thoroughly enjoyed the back and forth between flavors of cool and warmer smokes. It was a remarkable experience. Also, it comes in bulk, so that is a huge plus. Will definitely be stocking up very soon.
As an update to this post, of course, my tastes have changed. While brain thinks Newminster is delicious I rarely grab it. I dint know why. And I've begun to find St. Bruno nothing like OGS, ha! Out of the three, I have been craving St. Bruno the most! To be fair, I put the Bruno away for about 3 months and came back to it. But wow is it good! Too bad about Newminster. I bought a ton of it. I won't be buying bulk again until I've sat with a blend a bit longer. Live and learn!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
As an update to this post, of course, my tastes have changed. While brain thinks Newminster is delicious I rarely grab it. I dint know why. And I've begun to find St. Bruno nothing like OGS, ha! Out of the three, I have been craving St. Bruno the most! To be fair, I put the Bruno away for about 3 months and came back to it. But wow is it good! Too bad about Newminster. I bought a ton of it. I won't be buying bulk again until I've sat with a blend a bit longer. Live and learn!
sounds to me that you like burley more than VA

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Agreed. I recently finished a 2009 tin of union Square. Best straight Virginia I ever had. I bought a 8oz tin soon after. now I have wait 10 yrs. ughhh
In general I liked aged tobacco better than fresh. But at the height of the aging craze, which I would say was led by Pease, because his opinion was infallible, he said paradoxically that both were good, and that we ought not think that a tobacco must be aged to be enjoyed.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I have been debating what to open next and really didn't want to open yet another vaper. So, thanks for reminding me to open my first tin of St. Bruno from Feb 2018. OMG..olives and vinegar....it's still moist so it will need some drying time for after work relax. New minster, is a sweet treat that is nice from time to time, and Union square is still ageing gently in the back.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
In general I liked aged tobacco better than fresh. But at the height of the aging craze, which I would say was led by Pease, because his opinion was infallible, he said paradoxically that both were good, and that we ought not think that a tobacco must be aged to be enjoyed.
Based on my experiences, I agree with Pease. While aging tends to smooth things out and bring out more richness in Va blends, many of the “must age” blends are pretty darn good unaged as well. For instance, a while back I posted my review of Sam Gawith St James Flake and the general consensus was that that blend is best with 5-6 yrs of age (I think @cigrmaster said it needed something like 5.785 yrs of age to be smokable). After I posted the thread, @ashdigger sent me some 2014 St James (and like 20 other samples! It was incredible!). The 6 yr old SJF is fantastic, but the fresh stuff I picked up last summer is still pretty darn good, and they both bring slightly different flavor profiles to the table. So, is aged better? In many cases, possibly, but perhaps “different” would be a better descriptor.

Back to the topic at hand, I really like all three of these smokes, but I probably reach for St Bruno RR the most often. The addition of Burley, plus the slightly lakelandish citrusy topping really adds another dimension to the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.