PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I would have thought that the retort would have fixed it. But how many bristle cleaners have you run through it? I was wondering if soaking it with a pipe cleaner inserted may stop some of the cleaning solution from getting where it needs. I am pretty sure I will be pointing out unnecessary things you have already done. Good luck.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
You might try a brief two-to-three-minute soak in chlorine bleach

This is the first time I've used bleach in the cleaning of a pipe stem . I used a 4 to 1 mix and the outcome was promising that is until I started sanding the stem with mesh. The beast once again emerged from it's slumber.

In the wee hours My wife made me stop working the smell had taken over the room in full force. So should I finish all my work on the stem back to it's shiny glory then soak in bleach as a finale step(I don't know if this will destroy the work i've done)

Or do I need to soak the stem longer then 4 minutes at a time.

My other question is what causes this stench? Hundreds of pipes have passed through my hands over the years in much worse shape then this one and the smell was never attached to one of them.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
We often talk about a wish for having the history of a pipe to make the smoking experience complete. In this case, since the outcome turned out so well, you might just want to leave the history behind...

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Great work and sounds like there has a happy ending considering where you started out with the pipe. Love the shine on the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.