PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
recently picked up an unfinished rustication pipe. similar to something like a Morgan bones. If i didnt want to stain it (tried that once and didnt get the result i wanted on another pipe) but just wanted to shine it up, could i simply just coat in in wax and buff? if so, what kind of wax/shine is recommended? thanks in advance and apologizes for the very basic questions,

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I'd be afraid that putting anything on it would interfere with the natural aging and coloring you'd otherwise get just by smoking it.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I had an unfinished one a while back that I just put a light coat of mineral oil on. It just brought out the natural grain.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
Unfinished pipes or Virgin finished pipes are designed to darken with the interaction of the smoke with the natural oils in your hands. These will take on a nice coloration over time with usage very similar in nature to a meerschaum pipe. However if you are set on using a wax for the pipe, I would recommend using Carnuba wax.

Reactions: Dave4211

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thought I'd post these here. Two Savinelli unfinished pipes, the bottom one being about 7 months older than the top one. The main difference is that the top pipe has just the natural finish on it, whereas the bottom pipe I've waxed numerous times with carnauba wax starting from when it was new. It hasn't been smoked much more than the top pipe, but as you can see it seems to be developing more color. Hopefully this will be of some help in your decision as to wax or not. I have never used any other wax other than carnauba wax applied with a buffing wheel on any of my pipes, so using another type of wax may give you different results.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
carnauba wax will make it glossy... also may show fills or imperfections more.
halcyon 2 wax will keep the pipe's satin finish.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
yeah I'm inclined to say just don't handle it with dirty hands and let it get its patina naturally

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
If you’re in a hurry, I used carmex lip balm on a bones and it turned out nice. Not shiny but a good color that accented the grain.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you’re in a hurry, I used carmex lip balm on a bones and it turned out nice. Not shiny but a good color that accented the grain.
And it tastes great, too! ?

smoking camphor must be like constantly taking in Vick’s.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I just smoke em...
yes! And rub your nose on it ( not kiddin)...
pi1zkWY.jpg

HVnQmMk.jpg

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I started with nose oil but wasn’t getting results fast enough. The smell of menthol disappears rather quickly, like within minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.