SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 21, 2018
I'm just taking a break from work, smoking a small bowl of Amphora Full Aroma, having recently restarted pipe smoking and having opened one of a variety of tobaccos that I'd stored up from past years. I'm browsing the web, looking at pipe sites, and I end up at the French site 'la pipe rit' - I don't speak French, and the Google translate option popped up, so I took it. Well, I did not expect what resulted - pipe-smoking has evidently changed over the past few years! (To be fair, the site's own 'English' option - which I missed - uses more conventional translations.)

Screenshot 2024-05-23 113524.png

Sep 21, 2018
I think it's because in French the word for "stem" is the same as the word for... that other thing.
But maybe some French forum member will be able to tell us more.
Aha, I wondered quite how the translation might have been generated. It's reassuring to see that AI still has some way to do before it has a proper appreciation of how languages work in particular contexts!

• Haha
Reactions: Uguccione

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I say this because that's how it is in Italian. And in fact eBay censored (now I don't know if it still does) the word "bocchino" (stem in Italian) interpreting it in the other meaning.
Back then many pipe sellers wrote "boccaglio", but the word is a bit funny because boccaglio is this...

Attachments

• 5898_z_0eg267050_01_01y3_z.jpg
    5898_z_0eg267050_01_01y3_z.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 12

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I think it's because in French the word for "stem" is the same as the word for... that other thing.
But maybe some French forum member will be able to tell us more.
Not only that, but the decline in pipe smoking over the past century has dropped the word pipe (pronounced in French as "peep") from the common vernacular. It has since become slang for penis.

I can only imagine the chucking that ensues under this all-new interpretation of Magritte's painting...

Screenshot_20240523_111459_Chrome.jpg