PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Title edited. Please see rule 9.

I have a pipe where the tenon is loose when fully inserted yet enters the shank with appropriate tightness. I need to slightly increase the diameter of the tenon's stem half (without altering shank half's size).

Anyone with experience here? I was thinking maybe a light epoxy coating fine tuned by sanding but am unsure of the advisability of using epoxy on the tenon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Nail polish on the tenon has worked well for me.
One needs to rough up the surface a little with sandpaper before applying the nail polish.
Then let it dry hard before inserting it back into the mortise.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've used clear nail polish.
Advantage is ease of application and removal
May need to be re-applied

Beeswax also works reasonably well.
Beeswax works well for a loose stem but judging by Andrews description he needs to build up a gap with something more substantial.

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Heating would be problematic as I only want to expand part of the tenon, toward the stem.

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Some light flame heating appears to have done the trick. I'm always cautious here as warpage is a risk.

Thanks to all.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sounds like your tenon is slightly thicker at the head end, where it first inserts into the mortise. It got that way because someone heated the tenon and then pressed the end of it against a solid surface, which compresses and spreads the vulcanite at one end. It's a popular and bad way to tighten a tenon. Heating as is shown in the video by Walt Cannoy restores the original shape. Vulcanite has shape memory and will return to it's original shape when carefully heated.
I used to do the dumb repairs until I learned about how to do it properly. Works like a charm, provided the vulcanite hasn't been otherwise messed with.

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
Confession: the stem, not vulcanite, came way too tight & I over sanded it. If the current fix doesn't hold I'll fall back on the nail polish option, though with a brush I think epoxy could be applied just as thinly. Epoxy seemed a good first choice as epoxys are high temp resistant.

If vulcanite stems were more easily found I would have replaced and not messed around with repair.