PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Crowley

Lurker
Aug 17, 2024
Hello, I'm looking for advice, my tobacco burns unevenly, especially in the middle, it burns weakly at the edges, and when I want to light it properly, the pipe is hot, what would you advise? Thank you.

You are probably getting way better flavor than someone who intentionally tries to light the cherry all the way across the chamber.
If smoked very slowly, just burning in the middle is very normal. You do not get flavors from the actual combustion. You get pipe flavors from the tobacco surrounding the cherry, where the heat drives the oils from the unburned tobacco to mix into the smoke. When lit all the way across, you're not going to get very much flavor.

Crowley

Lurker
Aug 17, 2024
Okay, thanks, and how do I keep it regularly hot when I smoke slowly, it keeps going out, when I smoke faster, it's hot and I don't enjoy smoking, how do I keep the pipe lit?

Okay, thanks, and how do I keep it regularly hot when I smoke slowly, it keeps going out, when I smoke faster, it's hot and I don't enjoy smoking, how do I keep the pipe lit?
Without being able to watch you, I have no idea what you're doing. We like to tell beginners not to worry about relights, and you shouldn't. But, for me, I keep mine lit by keeping it clenched constantly. This is why I say that I hate when people want to have conversations while I'm smoking, because it forces me to have top remove my pipe from clench. The problem is that I am always smoking. Ha ha.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad to hear it!

If you would, introduce yourself in the thread for newcomers, and:

Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
One piece of advice I got here led me to focus on intensity AND speed of smoking. I tend to be hyper so I tend to take frequent puffs. I prevent overheating by taking smaller sips of smoke. With regular and gentle tamping I dont have constant relights. I dont mind relights but too much becomes distracting.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I smoke large chambered pipes and one of the secrets to do that is to basically have an uneven ember and let it move around the chamber and ignite the tobacco slowly. This is how you extract some of the best flavour. The ember will eventually even out about 2/3rds of the way down the bowl.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Char light. I find matches or zippos work good for that. So you basically light the pipe first trying to get the whole thing lit. All the tobacco puffs up and then you let it smolder until it goes out. Then tamp it down into something even. if you got it evenly spread and charred then the tobacco should lit up super easily like barely draw on the pipe while hovering a flame above the tobacco. If it's not even let it go out (or smother it out) spread the ash evenly and try again. I hope I explained that well but it makes a huge difference for me and keeps the ember even. And yea sometimes the outer bits don't really burn but tamp them into the middle and you might enjoy the pipe even more.

Reactions: Scottmi and Kobold

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
While moving the soft frame source in circular fashion, gently inhale there by bringing the frame to barely touch the tobacco. Take your time. When all the top is covered with what seems like either char or ash, relax and smoke.

It will more than likely burn in the center again. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While moving the soft flame source in circular fashion, gently inhale thereby bringing the flame to barely touch the tobacco. Take your time. When all the top is covered with what seems like either char or ash, relax and smoke.

It will more than likely burn in the center again. Don't worry about it.
I don't worry about it in the first instance. With a pot or other wide diameter chamber, I don't want to ignite the whole surface in any event.