PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I guess when I smoke, I need something more than marshmallows and vanilla. A little of it is not a bad thing but behind it all I need some hard tobacco taste in my mouth as well.
Me as well. I like the flavor of tobacco, at least as we know it after processing. The aromatics that appeal most are the ones that highlight that flavor instead of obliterating it. Otherwise, I'd just smoke a marshmallow.

garlisk

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
I got gifted a tin of Tinder Box Reserve 1928. Its blended by McClelland for Tinder Box. Kind of pricey, and I haven't made the jump to purchase it on my own...but its very good. It isn't a heavy aro, some good tobacco flavor with a nice light topping.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
There are tons of great aromatic blends out there, but a company that I don't see mentioned much anymore who makes very good aromatics is Dan Tobacco.
+1
Devil's Holiday is one of my favorite aros.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Ive to resurrect this and add Pipeworks and Wilke #191 and Gramercy park. Very good with some dry time. Also the ever overlooked Esoterica Blackpool. Easy smoking blend with a great anise flavor.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Comoy's Cask No.2 is very nice and different. Not your typical aromatic. Also, Toob points out his disdain for aromatics in general because of the heavy flavoring masking the underlying tobacco (I think that is his beef). Let them dry a bit and cut in a little of a medium English blend. For example, Autumn Evening and a bit of Sutliff medium English or Dunhill EMP is a great smoke.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you want to go way under the radar, then I can recommend two from Paul Olsen's My Own Blend:

7679b.jpg

75th Anniversary
is a rubbed out Virginia, topped very lightly with what they say is creme de cassis, but to me it is quite subtle. Just enough to compliment the exceptional leaf selection.
_MG_1878_edit-vi.jpg

Den Kongelige Livgarde is a Black Cavendish/Burley Virginia with a topping similar to Comoy's Cask #2. Less subtle than the 75th Anniversary blend, but still on the quiet side, compared to American aros. I love this blend, and have dedicated a Mr. Brog pipe to it.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
In my limited experience everything I try from Lane Limited is tasteless. Smells great but no taste. There are two that I like so far Sutliff spiced rum and Mark Twain. I mix the two. I've got founding fathers coming in and have heard it's good.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
If you want something off the beaten path, try "Holy Smoke" from Oxmore Smoke Shop in Louisville, KY. They have a web page but this tobacco is not listed, so I just call it in. 502-426-4706. There are very few reviews at www.tobaccoreviews.com however, what is there scores it a 3. It's not overly cased, burns well, has a great room note and the flavor lasts to the bottom of the bowl. I ordered 8 oz's yesterday. Black Stoker from Uhles is another great aromatic. You can order that one (as well as many other great tobaccos) online. Celebration from Mission Pipe Shope in San Jose, CA is worth the effort as well. They have a website but this one doesn't show up. Good luck and great smokes.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Most aromatics under the radar are there for a good reason. Most aromatics above the radar deserve to be put back under it.

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
This is not under the radar, but I suggest you try Lane Limited Black Raspberry. Lots of good things I heard about it, and now that I've tried it myself I seem to like it quite a bit. I think it also grows on you, and you enjoy it more after every smoke. Worth a try! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.