PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If a maker didn't think enough of his pipe to name it, I figure there has to be a reason and I pass. puffy
VS : In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi () is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.[2] The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of appreciating beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.[3] It is prevalent throughout all forms of Japanese art.[4] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印, sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常, mujō), suffering (苦, ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空, ).

Characteristics of wabi-sabi aesthetics and principles include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and the appreciation of both natural objects and the forces of nature.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I also see nothing wrong with my cavalier: no fills, smokes perfectly, well-proportioned. I don't know what the maker saw that was wrong with it, but I love it. So I guess that's what counts:)
Back in the day European pipe shops/tobacconists would order batches of pipes from various makers that were simply stamped Bruyere Garantie. It was probably cheaper to buy a bunch of unbranded pipes than branded from the same maker.
Some of my best smokers are unbranded Bruyere Garantie. Most are very well crafted and take a pipe cleaner through to the draught hole.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
VS : In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi () is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection.[2] The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of appreciating beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.[3] It is prevalent throughout all forms of Japanese art.[4] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印, sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常, mujō), suffering (苦, ku) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空, ).

Characteristics of wabi-sabi aesthetics and principles include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and the appreciation of both natural objects and the forces of nature.
That's very interesting. Too bad it has nothing to do with quality pipes puffy

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I just realized that it's like any other seconds on the planet. We had a store that sold seconds and you just had to look at them to see why. It could be that one cosmetic stitch was out of place or that a shirt had an even number of arm holes. People would always talk about how ridiculous it was. Until you asked them if they'd be happy spending full price on something with a minor and ultimately unimportant defect.
Apparently all my shirts are "seconds".
I'm darn near certain that they ALL have an even number of arm holes...

• Wow
Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr