PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
After the Avengers came out, I started noticing more and more pipes looking scrotal/ Thanos chin like. Maybe something I should discuss with a therapist.

H

HRPufnstuf

Aw, c'mon...you guys are no fun...as chasing embers pointed out, it's a reverse calabash (so au courant, a breakthrough in solutions in search of a problem) by a current darling of the pipe cognoscenti ("...the breathtaking outline of this shape, its nigh-perfect shaping, and the beautiful line work present throughout its expanse...") whose pipes fetch four figures. I don't believe that someone, probably many someones, with much more sophistication and a more discerning eye than I doesn't love this pipe and wouldn't be willing to expound on the fact that I'm a soulless barbarian, thoroughly oblivious to the fine points of design. Where are you?
I have some garments to sell you, they can only be seen by the discerning eye, of magnificent quality and impeccable design...

Reactions: Dave760
H

HRPufnstuf

Looks like a Chic modern interpretation of a certain adult toy that shall remain nameless but the style of which is used in the same general manor but with less intensity and force as a lawn mower pull cord 🤷‍♂️
Aren't those of asian origin, too? A Ben-Wa pipe?

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin

Alex Florov: Sandblasted Ryukin Tobacco Pipe​

The Ryukin is a signature shape from Florov, crafted as a subtle nod to the work of Kei-ichi Gotoh, and is named after the Ryukin goldfish, a species that's distinctive thanks to its curved hump behind the head. It's a fascinating design that comprises two rounded discs, one of which forms the bowl and other of which makes up the shank. These discs are adjoined by a pinched transition, resulting in a rather distinctive profile. This particular Ryukin features an oval-shaped bowl and shank, both of which are quite stout and supple. Though the bowl is noticeably taller and wider, the shank here is shaped to mirror the bowl, producing a sense of visual harmony throughout the composition. The shank, additionally, curls in a lopsided manner and can be viewed peaking around the side of the bowl: a design cue that further visually aligns the bowl and shank. An earthy sandblast dresses the stummel and brings vivid definition to a constellation of birdseye across the bowl's fore wall, adding a wealth of tactile and visual detail to the briar.

Cloozoe

Lifer
Sep 1, 2023
Somebody certainly wants it.

View attachment 257482
No surprise. I was being serious in the opening post when I said I thought there would be lots of people who would like it ("This week's entry is a far more serious, far more accomplished, and far more expensive piece that I think will generate significant diversity of opinion...") even if it wasn't my cup of tea. I was surprised nobody chimed in saying as much. Hell, it's even growing on me, a bit, although aside from aesthetics I'm attempting to swear off pipes with significantly more wood/weight than the capacity requires.

I would expect final price to be around double what it is now. Or, who knows, maybe more.

Last edited: