UK PM Removes Raleigh Portrait from 10 Downing Street!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokeyJock

Lurker
Oct 4, 2024
Scotland
Personally I'm more concerned with yet another looming round of real terms cuts to public services hitting the most vulnerable in our society than how the pillock in charge decides to decorate his office - because it just seems to be some kind of vacuous PR signalling given he keeps being accused of running a "boy's club". It literally doesn't matter what's hanging on his wall.

I also don't take the view that history has ever been an objective edifice written in stone that can't be reinterpreted by each generation of society, because that would be silly.

But then perhaps this thread is a little bit political for the forum rules, no?

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
From what I see, Great Britain is changing into another country - i.e. one different in nearly every way from what it was. Taking down historical paintings was just a part of changing world views and attitudes.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
What's going on these days isn't about changing the words that have been written down about history. That's bad enough on it's own right, people teaching opinions on what has happened as if they are facts.

This is about changing the facts of what happened in the past. Selling a new history, a fake one... A lie.

Last edited:

SmokeyJock

Lurker
Oct 4, 2024
Scotland
What's going on these days isn't about changing the words that have been written down about history. That's bad enough on it's on right, people teaching opinions on what has happened as if they are facts.

This is about changing the facts of what happened in the past. Selling a new history, a fake one... A lie.
Are we still talking about a painting being replaced? 😂😂😂

Reactions: Puff nstuff

MisterBadger

Might Stick Around
Oct 6, 2024
Ludlow, UK
And what the duece are the paintings upper L and R?
TELEMMGLPICT000397766051_17288387133500_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpeg
No idea, but if I had to choose two paintings to get rid of from No. 10 Downing Street, those would be the ones.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Taking down Margaret Thatcher I can understand. What will he replace that with? Samantha Fox?

I thought the PM and his wife were allowed to have art that pleased them. Like the US president and his wife. Which US President sent the Churchill portrait back to the English? Very gauche! He could have just quietly removed it, put it into storage.

As 10 Downing Street is the Prime Ministers Gaff for the next five years he is entitled to move the furniture around and hang whatever paintings appeal to him,just like every other Prime Minister.The only reason that this has become a story is because he is a Labour Prime Minister.The Tory press which is every newspaper in the UK have decided to run with this.