UK PM Removes Raleigh Portrait from 10 Downing Street!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh noes they took down a picture. Really why would live and culture move on? Why would we ever feel like who we honor should never change. I am still feeling salty that nobody even talks about Urgo the guy that found fire (and first human burnt to death too). Instead we're celebrating the most people who found things recently. And now that their pictures are down it's like they never existed or something.
Or in other words whatever.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The bulk of the linked article is behind a paywall. Can anyone please post it?

Was it an anti-tobacco statement? Anti titles? Or just disliked the painting? Jealousy over fame?

And from a quick google:
"Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618) was an English adventurer, writer and nobleman. After growing close to Elizabeth I during his time in the army, Raleigh was knighted in 1585 and became captain of the guard. During Elizabeth’s reign, Raleigh organized three major expeditions to America, including the ill-fated Roanoke settlement. He later drew the queen’s wrath and was imprisoned in the Tower of London. After Elizabeth’s death in 1603, Raleigh was implicated as an enemy of her successor, James I, and given a death sentence. The sentence was commuted, and Raleigh was freed to lead an expedition to the New World, but its failure sealed his fate."

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And what the duece are the paintings upper L and R?
TELEMMGLPICT000397766051_17288387133500_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Puff nstuff
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I'm no fan of it, FWIW.

I see it playing out all around me. Statues are being torn down all the time where I live... Street names changed, schools renamed.

IMO, it's all just virture signaling.

You should see plenty of that in this thread, if it lives long enough.

Reactions: The Libertine

The Libertine

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2024
NYC by way of Paris France
I'm no fan of it, FWIW.

I see it playing out all around me. Statues are being torn down all the time where I live... Street names changed, schools renamed.

IMO, it's all just virture signaling.

You should see plenty of that in this thread, if it lives long enough.
People need to understand that you cannot change history. Once it is written down and documented, that history is forever.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am hoping for a more nuanced reply as to why.
Nothing nuanced about it per the article.

Sir Keir Starmer has removed portraits of Elizabeth I and Sir Walter Raleigh that were hung up in No10.

The paintings were previously displayed on the walls of a room used for meetings with world leaders, though have now been replaced with scenes from Crivelli’s Garden - a mural by the late Dame Paula Rego, whose work focuses on female empowerment.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
People need to understand that you cannot change history. Once it is written down and documented, that history is forever.
Well, um, er, erm, there are too many revisionists around! Too many ways for today's media to distort, rewrite, negate what's the truth. And then one has to ask: Who's writing that history??