PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I enjoyed the craic (Google, if you are not familiar with the term) when smoking ouside the pubs when visiting Ireland and somewhat in England. I'd sometimes light up a pipe but, cigarettes or a small cigar, were what everyone else was smoking and I seek the company fo "natives" when touring. But, in my own country, I'm mostly asocial and never seek nor, much enjoy the company of others. Most especially if they wish to only talk pipes and blends. I prefer to be left to my work. But, I'm neither a "taster" nor a collector, so probably not fit company for an enthusiastic neophyte seeking company and encouragement.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
In my part of Alabama, it is obvious that someone is buying lots of pipe tobaccos at convenience stores, grocers, drug stores, and the many smaller pipe and tobacco places around about. But, you only ever see a dozen or so of us smoking in town. Same with cigars. Damn cigar shops are more plentiful than Dollar Generals, but you don't see people smoking sticks that often. Some people are just shy, and they smoke inside their homes, watching their Netflix full of series with pipesmokers on them.
But, I do see pipes being smoked while setting in traffic, and some while out walking. If I take in what I read on here, the South must just have way more pipesmokers than in y'all's areas.

I am fondly acknowledged with my pipe, sometimes with mothers bringing their kids up to me to tell them that their grandfather or grandmother used to smoke pipes. I have only had people give me the fake "cough cough" while smoking my pipes further North. But... of course we still have diners and restaurants with smoking areas.

Move South. Sure sure, we have our problems down here... but smoking ain't one of 'em. puffy
Dang Cosmic, you gonna turn living museum piece soon that way. Moms bringing kids to show what smoker looks like. That's not right..

Dang Cosmic, you gonna turn living museum piece soon that way. Moms bringing kids to show what smoker looks like. That's not right..
Had a mother ask me if her kid could smell my tobacco once. It wasn’t even an aromatic.
This is where I should add that I am not crazy about kids to begin with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is still some sociability around tobacco pipes, such as this Forums, pipe shops with smoking lounges or areas, pipe clubs, and pipe shows, but there's no question that pipe smoking has declined enormously as a social activity, from the U.S. Surgeon General's Report onward.

One awkwardness in social pipe smoking is that conversation has become propulsive, and pauses in conversation are experienced as uncomfortable. Whereas among some Native American cultures, and in many rural places, long pauses in the conversation are part of the ritual, so pipe smoking can be a natural activity to supplement intermittent conversation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have never had anyone give me shit about smoking a pipe. Every once in a rare while I am told you can't smoke here and usually pretty politely too. And frankly they could be worse and I'd still think they had a point. I am kind of putting pollutants in the air even if they smell nice. I mean if I weigh it out they have more of a point then my I feel like smoking here does. Nope what stops people from smoking outside is the commitment, you have to have your pipe and tobacco and then know you're going to be outside for the duration of the bowl. And here is a big one when you're done with it you have to put the pipe in a pocket of some sort or just carry it around. Either that or we're such a bunch of softies we can't handle a few dirty looks and verbal disapproval (but that wouldn't make much sense, because we're all adults right?).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Had a mother ask me if her kid could smell my tobacco once. It wasn’t even an aromatic.
This is where I should add that I am not crazy about kids to begin with.
She was probably telling him what he'd have to eat if he didn't touch his vegies again. "Alright you don't like broccoli while you're going to eat leaves then.
Back to your earlier comment. I get to see a pipe smoker or two about once a year. The thing is I smell pipe tobacco occasionally and someone is buying it.

Reactions: Carol and jpmcwjr

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I spotted an elderly pipe smoker in Aberaeron today.
His straight pipe was permanently in his mouth but no smoke was apparent. He seemed to be simply enjoying the view.

I have half planted the seed of having a quarterly pipe evening with two other members of my church. One already smokes cigarettes but is keen on the idea. The other a very occasional cigar smoker. Then there is me.
The idea may not get further than a pipe dream (without the pipe), we are of the opinion that the wrath of our wives might make it not worth the hassle.
If we proceed any further I will report back. But don't hold your breath.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Amazingly, I was in Newcastle last weekend, and saw only the second pipe smoker I've ever seen in my life, a gentleman of middling years puffing away as he crossed the street.

I know there must be some pipe smokers out there in the UK, because someone must be buying all that tobacco and those £5,000 Dunhill pipes. The weather in this country is probably too much of a deterent to smoke a pipe outdoors.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Yep. Same in Scotland. Smoking is hugely frowned upon. The only place to smoke is at home
Same here. Based in the Borders and do most of my smoking in my shed. I did however have my small Falcon Sport and a pleasant aromatic out for a stag do recently. My best friend of 35 years fancied a brief shot and enjoyed the pipe. He asked me to put in a beginners order when putting in my own. He is coming out tomorrow to hopefully enjoy a bowl, a whisky and a beer at mine. I can't wait, and neither can he.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
That sounds pretty awful! Is it worth it?

Well its a tropical island so the weathers not too bad & the beach is a minutes walk away ?

I know a few South Africans who fly back home fairly often and many will bring me a couple of packs of tobacco back from there, so that's where I mostly get it from ?

(& I drew a face on an empty tobacco tin to have someone to talk to... He's called Peterson puffy
?

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I haven't seen anyone smoking a pipe since I was a boy, and that's a long time ago.
I see pipe smokers are lot more frequently than this.

There was the man yesterday.
There was someone with a Peterson a couple of months ago.
Almost guaranteed to see a pipe smoker in an agricultural show.

I will see at least three or four a year I suppose.

West Wales is a different culture I suppose. But I only know of three shops between Aberystwyth and Cardiff.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I see pipe smokers are lot more frequently than this.

There was the man yesterday.
There was someone with a Peterson a couple of months ago.
Almost guaranteed to see a pipe smoker in an agricultural show.

I will see at least three or four a year I suppose.

West Wales is a different culture I suppose. But I only know of three shops between Aberystwyth and Cardiff.
I lived in Milford Haven for 10-years, I never saw a pipe smoker

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
When I smoke my pipe on the front porch the youngsters give me a sly look thinking my favorite blend is Mary Jane. Also not trying to blend in my small town white beard growing contest they don’t mistake that I am practicing up to become Santa.

Reactions: Carol and JOHN72

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yep. Same in Scotland. Smoking is hugely frowned upon. The only place to smoke is at home
Funny thing is other than my wife's father, I can't think of when I've seen anyone here or on any travels in the good old US of A smoking a pipe and the only person I can think of I've noticed outdoors with one was three years ago in . . . . . . North Berwick, Scotland! Something about the dog/owner thing and the symmetry moved me to take his picture (wasn't a pipe smoker then myself, but just thought it was an interesting image).

56595F73-5FD9-4C14-BB77-211FAFC89F17_1_201_a.jpeg