New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around
I'm a pipe smoker who lives in Crowborough UK which is in the South East near Tunbridge Wells. Since I've been pipe smoking for a number of months I've noticed that I'm almost completely alone. There are tobacco shops all over the place but I've never seen one pipe smoker. I generally smoke either on the front step or on a local bench enjoying the sunshine so i wonder if most people are just enjoying their pipe in the comfort of their own home? Either way they must be out there because other wise the tobacco shops wouldn't be selling pipe tobacco.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The old traditions are a hindrance, an insult to the modern times.. I remember walking around London, and seeing those fascinating, classic, antique, mythical, bespoke suit stores, and those handmade shoes. I only smoke in two places, at home, and at a golf club. If it's a cigar, somewhere in the street, away from people, or in a restaurant terrace, where they allow quiet smoking.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I hate being watched for a long time and taken for a dinosaur, slow smoking is something that restores my balance by taking me on a journey into my memories and thoughts.
All the relaxation and tranquility possible for that.
But sometimes it happens that someone looks at me when I have a pipe, I smile and pass.

In my part of Alabama, it is obvious that someone is buying lots of pipe tobaccos at convenience stores, grocers, drug stores, and the many smaller pipe and tobacco places around about. But, you only ever see a dozen or so of us smoking in town. Same with cigars. Damn cigar shops are more plentiful than Dollar Generals, but you don't see people smoking sticks that often. Some people are just shy, and they smoke inside their homes, watching their Netflix full of series with pipesmokers on them.
But, I do see pipes being smoked while setting in traffic, and some while out walking. If I take in what I read on here, the South must just have way more pipesmokers than in y'all's areas.

I am fondly acknowledged with my pipe, sometimes with mothers bringing their kids up to me to tell them that their grandfather or grandmother used to smoke pipes. I have only had people give me the fake "cough cough" while smoking my pipes further North. But... of course we still have diners and restaurants with smoking areas.

Move South. Sure sure, we have our problems down here... but smoking ain't one of 'em. puffy

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
You think that’s bad I’m on an island in the Indian ocean where no one is permitted to sell pipe tobacco and any that I get posted in has 300% duty

Usually restrict my pipe smoking to the balcony at home, golf club, the beach or occasionally on a bench outside the office
As far as I know I’m the only pipe smoker here

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Other than my uncles, long passed into bliss eternal, a friend who smokes only Captain Black White in his one Dr. Grabow and rejects suggestions, and a guy I knew who set his place on fire and blew his brains out with a .45, I am the only pipe smoker that I'm well acquainted with. Every three or four years I might spot a pipe smoker, but it really is that rare. About three weeks ago while driving I spotted a younger guy with a pipe in his mouth outside getting his mail. Obviously a remnant of a time warp, and I half expected to see Rod Serling, who lived around here, presiding over the scene. Let's see, that's number three in the last decade.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
i was waiting to collect a friend at corfu airport greece last summer and an airport worker came outside and proceeded to light upa pipe.
the first person i had seen in 18 years here.
But the kiosk in my local town sells pipe tobacco (ok only various scandinavic and amphora ) so someone must be buying it.

You think that’s bad I’m on an island in the Indian ocean where no one is permitted to sell pipe tobacco and any that I get posted in has 300% duty

Usually restrict my pipe smoking to the balcony at home, golf club, the beach or occasionally on a bench outside the office
Are you stranded there? Have you tried to contact a rescue boat? Build large bonfires that spell out SOS. We'll get you off that rock. Hang in there. puffy

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around

That sounds pretty awful! Is it worth it?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I'm a pipe smoker that lives in Crowborough UK which is in the South East near Tunbridge Wells. Since I've been pipe smoking for a number of months I've noticed that I'm almost completely alone. There are tobacco shops all over the place but I've never seen one pipe smoker. I generally smoke either on the front step or on a local bench enjoying the sunshine so i wonder if most people are just enjoying their pipe in the comfort of their own home? Either way they must be out there because other wise the tobacco shops wouldn't be selling pipe tobacco.
Hi Gregg, welcome to the forum! I'm from Malaysia. I usually smoke pipe alone at home too. Only once a while, my colleague will come by my house and smoke pipe together with me. Even his pipe, he left it to me ? . There are a few pipe smokers in KL too, but usually I smoke alone at home ?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I'm a pipe smoker that lives in Crowborough UK which is in the South East near Tunbridge Wells. Since I've been pipe smoking for a number of months I've noticed that I'm almost completely alone. There are tobacco shops all over the place but I've never seen one pipe smoker. I generally smoke either on the front step or on a local bench enjoying the sunshine so i wonder if most people are just enjoying their pipe in the comfort of their own home? Either way they must be out there because other wise the tobacco shops wouldn't be selling pipe tobacco.
I think it's smoking prohibited everywhere in UK now, right? I went to London a few years ago, didn't even dare to smoke while walking on the street. Especially crowded area like Oxford Circus and Piccadilly Circus area.