PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
Bangor, Maine
There is alway some 'do gooder' who wants to enforce their values on the rest of us rubes. They share many common characteristics to traffic wardens or the classroom sneaks you encountered at school but just slightly older. I believe you call them 'Karens' in this country. Since I am blessed with the ability to fart on command I usually wait for them to sound off and then ventilate my backside in their presence before walking away! Often they have bizarre beliefs which in the pre-P.C days were the subject of damning humor like this example from Reggie Perrin a 1970s British comedy.

Are you confident that you can pass just gas and nothing else?

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
Bangor, Maine
Empirically, none of that is true. The state of gun ownership in the states is proof of that. Cast iron proof I'm afriad. You have far more gun crime than we do. Your gun laws are far more liberal than ours. It's an open and shut case.

I know you will now say you won't be dictated to by your governmnet, and that you can't believe how people in Europe allow such a thing. But who protects your second amendment rights? Do you think that the amendment equips you to protect it yourself? Do you think, that even if you did have an RPG, you'd be able to protect it if the government decided to revoke it? It never fails to amaze me how some Americans are naive enough to believe the second amendment is something that the government doesnt protect, and instead believe it is they themselves that protect it.
Always beware the "open and shut" argument. It is a smarmy way of delegitimizing rational thought.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What I thought. Most data I’ve seen regarding gun ownership notes increased crime with increased access whether death by suicide, domestic violence, or criminals stealing other lawful gun owners pieces which are then used in the act of committing crime. I’m not opposed to carry concealed or open carry but don’t buy into the idea a good guy with a gun prevents more crime.

But that’s just my .02 cents on the subject.

Also, Ive lived in the inner city of Milwaukee for close to thirty years and never felt the need to own a firearm for personal safety.
Read John Lott’s “More Guns, Less Crime”, an impeccably researched and reported book on this very subject.

Jun 9, 2018
England
There is alway some 'do gooder' who wants to enforce their values on the rest of us rubes. They share many common characteristics to traffic wardens or the classroom sneaks you encountered at school but just slightly older. I believe you call them 'Karens' in this country. Since I am blessed with the ability to fart on command I usually wait for them to sound off and then ventilate my backside in their presence before walking away! Often they have bizarre beliefs which in the pre-P.C days were the subject of damning humor like this example from Reggie Perrin a 1970s British comedy.

Awesome series. Leonard Rossiter was such a great actor who died way too soon. Loved him in Rising Damp.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Do you feel less safe without access to a firearm?
It's hard to say. I've only ever lived in a country where firearms are very restricted and nobody i've ever known has owned any. If I had the option I would definitely own a gun for self protection. I'm pretty sure that i'd feel more safe knowing that if someone broke in to my home i'd have a way to defend myself. It's all hypothetical though.

I do think guns are a great equaliser for women, the disabled, the elderly etc.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I could (it’s just a google search away that I’m sure you’re capable of) but that’s not where I’d imagine the mods would like this thread to go.
In all fairness this thread has already walked the razors edge as to will it get removed or not lol

Anyways the last thing I’ll say on this is that I’m not opposed to gun ownership but am skeptical as to whether or not owning and carrying a gun makes anyone safer. As George Carlin once said, “think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” Stupid people with guns make stupid choices.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: seanv and woodsroad
Status
Not open for further replies.