PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've only smoked a few of their Burley blends (which, are top shelf all the way). In fact, Uhle's Burley 00 is considered to be one of the finer Burley blends produced. It is soft and mellow with that nutty Burley taste. I compare it favorably to Prince Albert, but is less harsh and not quite so strong in the nicotine department.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I've had both 00 & 71 good blends. Worth the purchase.
Over on another forum its being discussed that Blend 00 is actually Peter Stokkebye - Burley (No.702) with a lite casing.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Ha that's interesting one that I heard is good is bishops move it's an English has good reviews.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Bishops is on my next order along with 44, 232 & Perfection Plug once I attack some of my jarred cellar items this summer.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Bishops Move is an excellent blend. Of the Uhle blends I have tried that is by far my favorite. Somewhat similar to Fusiliers Ration if you have ever tried that one.
Bishop's move has a little vanilla flavor going on with it, and it has been a while, but I feel Bishops move was a little more latakia forward than Fusiliers. I feel BM burns a little easier than Fusiliers, but is also a little more expensive.(price was one of the factors why I switched to Fusiliers) I am not saying Bishop's is not worth the extra coin to try, but would be a little rough to keep as a daily smoke.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Gotta try the 00 as I love my PA every night. Sounds interesting and maybe something a wee bit different.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
With the Wisconsin 71% Excise tax, get ready to pay $84.00 for 14 ounces! I love Bishop's Move but will not pay the price as I live in Wisconsin!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
That sounds about right.
Which is a shame, because it was my understanding that WI had a history of growing some pretty decent tobacco.
I thought I even saw a blend or a cigar not too long ago that used WI tobacco as the binder or wrapper.
Treat it as a treat and should be fine.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I've been smoking Uhle's for years - not as a staple, but when I want a change of pace. Worth trying. I think I sampled all of their blends at one time or another.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Bishop's Move was one of my favorite blends when I smoked more Latakia. Something uniquely savory and tangy about it. I still like it and smoke it occasionally, especially in the fall. The burleys (00 and Perfection Plug) are smooth, mellow and have a very old-fashioned top note -- low in nic, but that's a good thing for some smokers.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Smoking some Perfection Plug right now. It's really mellow and relaxing, but plenty of flavor. It's a genuine cube cut, so it's a cinch to load your bowl and fire away.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
With the Wisconsin 71% Excise tax, get ready to pay $84.00 for 14 ounces! I love Bishop's Move but will not pay the price as I live in Wisconsin!!!

That 71% is paid on the wholesale and not the retail price and from my travel experience Wisconsin's fairly average for in store prices. I'm not sure but I don't think you pay that on out of state mail order. Ulhe's out of state price for Bishop's is listed at $58.25. I think you're confusing prices with the Uhle's tobacco sold at Book World shops. They are always very high price. 8O

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
If you live in Wisconsin and place your order, you will pay the 71% Excise Tax. If you order from outside of Wisconsin, you will avoid the Excise Tax as I understand it. I know the price in Wisconsin. It is $80.25 for 14 ounces plus shipping charges and handling charges! If you live in Wisconsin and want Uhles tobacco, have a friend order it for you from out-of-State and you will save a lot of money on your purchase even if you pay the extra re-shipping cost to get it to your doorstep.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Placed an order for the 'Blend 00', 'Perfection Plug Burley' and 'Bishop's Move'. Actually I'm quite surprised I did so as I've really cut down drastically on my tobacco purchases and wish to sell off many of the blends I already have as I've come to the conclusion that I really don't need them all, but that's another subject.
I ordered 7 ounces of each as I'm not about to pay for shipping on a few measly ounces and it came in just two days! I had some stomach problems yesterday, which happens on occasion and is an ongoing problem, but I still wished to have my evening bowl. So with that I packed a bowl of the 'Blend 00' in a MM Country Gentleman cob and I'll have to say it was quite sublime! It was rather moist so I let it dry out for about twenty minutes and even though it still seemed rather moist I packed the bowl anyway and torched it up. After the char light it smoked very smooth and seeing that it's pure Burley it had the typical nutty taste (which I love) and a faint buttery taste. As I said, it was still somewhat moist but it only needed one relight and it was a very delightful 45 minute smoke with nothing but ash at the bottom of the bowl when finished. Certainly not a strong tobacco by any stretch of the of the imagination and even milder than PA which can get a tad iffy as for taste as you get to the bottom of the bowl at times. However, 'Belnd 00' kept true to it's taste throughout the entire bowl until there was nothing left. This might very well become my late evening smoke before I hit the sack.
As for the other two Uhle blends I've not tried them yet, but I'm looking forward to trying the 'Perfection Plug Burley', and of course the "Bishop's Move'. Hopefully, I'll try to give a more detailed review on all of them in the very near future. But, for now... I'm a happy camper with what I've tried thus far with the Uhley blends that I purchased. Actually, I'm quite surprised that I never heard of them before, but I'm quite pleased that I took the jump. :wink:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Capt. Bob, I understand you point BUT shipping to an out of state location for use in that locale is tax avoidance, and legal at this time. I would argue that shipping out of state to avoid tax and the re-routing to said state is tax evasion and a very different circumstance generally frowned upon by that state's laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.