PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Every time I see a Castello drop at SPC.
Oh thank you. I was starting to think I was the only one. They have some that I find o.k. but...
The 55 is a disgrace to the pot shape.
You added some extraneous words in there. Take out the "the pot" and it is still as accurate. The 55 is a disgrace to shape.
Just my opinion and to people that disagree I appreciate you chasing pipes I run from.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
photo-produit-pipe-chacom-pistache-851,1465903966-480-480.jpg

I don’t actually think this is ugly. It’s something, maybe even something nice. If I had a hundred dollars to throw away I’d buy it for my wife to put it next to flowers. It’s pleasing like water colors I guess, just not the way the things are that I like to put tobacco in. ETA not to rain on someone’s parade. I think it’s an interesting conversation piece and unusual. It made me wonder. Someone must like to smoke with it and I wonder who.

Reactions: litup

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
A lot of Anne Julie pipes leave me scratching my head. Yes, they are ugly (IMHO.) (To be fair, she has some beautiful smooth pipes). This one can be had for a mere $9036.00US right now over at The Danish Pipe Shop.

View attachment 197397

This one is only $6024.00. What a steal!
View attachment 197398
Right. I’ve looked at those and discussed them with my wife. Her early sort of classic pipes are fetching. One thing that seems true about her is that she’s not all over the place squeezing every dime she can? I mean even though the prices on her pipes are through the roof. She doesn’t seem like she makes a lot of pipes anymore? I don’t think her pipes are ugly as something else, as objects to look at - maybe it’s just context that matters. They’re certainly interesting. Again, if I were rich, I might buy one to look or to talk about with friends. As pipes some of them verge on ugly.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Right. I’ve looked at those and discussed them with my wife. Her early sort of classic pipes are fetching. One thing that seems true about her is that she’s not all over the place squeezing every dime she can? I mean even though the prices on her pipes are through the roof. She doesn’t seem like she makes a lot of pipes anymore? I don’t think her pipes are ugly as something else, as objects to look at - maybe it’s just context that matters. They’re certainly interesting. Again, if I were rich, I might buy one to look or to talk about with friends. As pipes some of them verge on ugly.
I don't like the look of carved vulcanite at all. In terms of art objects, or whatever, I think I get the point. I just don't personally want a pipe as an art object. I'd definitely rather spend $9000 on a fine oil painting and buy a pipe that I intend on smoking. Of course the prices have something to do with her connection to pipe history and all that. But I'd rather own an estate Sixten Ivarsson if I were shelling out that kind of cash. But, anyway, I'm not rich. Somebody buys those pipes, because I've seen them sell. I think they're objectively ugly but that's just my subjective opinion. To each their own.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I don't like the look of carved vulcanite at all. In terms of art objects, or whatever, I think I get the point. I just don't personally want a pipe as an art object. I'd definitely rather spend $9000 on a fine oil painting and buy a pipe that I intend on smoking. Of course the prices have something to do with her connection to pipe history and all that. But I'd rather own an estate Sixten Ivarsson if I were shelling out that kind of cash. But, anyway, I'm not rich. Somebody buys those pipes, because I've seen them sell. I think they're objectively ugly but that's just my subjective opinion. To each their own.
I see what you mean. If it’s a choice between that and a Marc Chagall or something, yeah, it’s no contest. Maybe I’m just musing about money I don’t have. In the end, it is hard to image who DOES buy them. I agree about pipes too. I might be more interested in a pipe with historical connections than name recognition.

Reactions: Winnipeger

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I can't find the photo of it, but I'm thinking of a Dunghill that Smoking pipes had for sale last year in which after the tenon the stem took a 90 degree turn to left.

(*"Dunghill* was a typo but I kinda like it so I'm not deleting it.)

• Haha
Reactions: Winnipeger
I'm just really picky, but at least I am honest about it. Some of the extreme ones posted here, i think are very interesting, not necessarily pleasant on the eyes. But, for me, the truly ugly ones seem to try to be a nice pipe, but fail in proportion, or material, or some other "off-ness" about it.

For me, pokers have to be right on proportion; otherwise most I have seen just don't appeal to me, but this one...
1674740022402.png

The guy tried. I'll give him that much. But, sometimes creativity leads you down a dark amorphous path...
1674740125628.png

I don't know... it just reminds me decorations for a double=wide trailer in the 1970's. Like someone smoked this on their red velvet couch under their black velvet painting of a bull fighter while wearing a polyester leisure suit.
1674740656003.png

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Am I a weirdo for kinda liking that?
I like it too !

All the pipes I own are pretty much classic shapes & finishes. Maybe that’s a bit boring.
But that pictured pipe is Very interesting. I imagine its an artisan & more than I’d be willing to pay, (and may not have the chamber dimensions I’m looking for currently) - but I like it !

Mac

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Do you have a Platonic ideal example to share? puffy 🧐
I didn't want to throw fire bombs in the OP, but since you asked...the latest Todd Johnson drop at SP. $4K for a pipe that has bald grain, a MASSIVE pit right where you would see it while smoking and God knows what hiding underneath that awful leather shank cover. The stitching isn't even either. I get the people who buy the ODD pipes. It turns their cranks and who am I to judge? But...that pipe...I would look past the timber in my own eye and judge the leather wrapped mote in theirs.