PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I took these pics for a friend's project, but thought the pipe was special enough to post here. (Just because, as it were... are we not Pipe People? :lol: )
P1010287.jpg

P1010290.jpg

P1010302.jpg

P1010301.jpg

P1010294.jpg

P1010308.jpg

P1010309.jpg

P1010298.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amazing grain, birdseye on the brim, and what unique shaping and what a handsome inlay. A highly distinguished piece. I do hope it isn't as heavy as it looks, but it is a fine work.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Amazing grain, birdseye on the brim, and what unique shaping and what a handsome inlay. A highly distinguished piece. I do hope it isn't as heavy as it looks, but it is a fine work.
You made me curious, so I weighificated it: 57.5 grams

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are any number of impossibly but spectacularly beautiful pipes made each year, and this is certainly one. This maker's work is invariably unusual but commanding in the way of Negoita and unfortunately well out of my reach. Thanks for the great pics!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An inimitable style, that's for sure. And you take spectacular pipe photos, you need to rent out your services to any number of Ebay sellers!

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Any hints on how you take such awesome pipe pics? I have a decent camera , which I do not know half the functionality . I love Knets pipes, met him for the first time in Chicago this year. wonderful guy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Any hints on how you take such awesome pipe pics? I have a decent camera , which I do not know half the functionality.
I just noticed this, and figured if I didn't respond it would look like I was trying to be secretive or otherwise ignoring someone.
I'm glad you like 'em, first of all. :D A big part of enjoying pipes is visual, imo. I spend a fair amount of time just looking at and handling my collection, and don't think I'd smoke nearly as much if pipes were all identical, like made out of ceramic or something.
As for how I take photos, it certainly doesn't involve fancy equipment or significant effort. A small light box, four full-spectrum bulbs, a consumer-grade digital camera, and a ten-year-old photo processing program called "Photocomplete" is it. Not even a tripod. Producing a dozen or so pics of a pipe takes 10-15 minutes total (meaning from switching on the light box to having the "prints" on my computer ready for uploading.)
I was a hardcore photo hobbyist years ago in the film era, though, with a large format darkroom, lots of fancy gear & etc., which helps connect the dots conceptually with today's digital stuff. Staging, composing, focal length, shutter speed, light types, and so on hasn't changed. Taking good photos without understanding what those basics/principles mean in "physics terms" and how they are interconnected would be difficult, I imagine. (Meaning being able to see what's wrong with a photo without knowing which variable to change in order to FIX it, would reduce everything to tedious trial and error.)
All of which means---I just realized---this isn't a road I should have started down here on a pipe forum. :lol:
OK. Bottom line suggestion time for anyone who likes taking pipe pics: Read about the PRINCIPLES of photography (online or get a book); and beg, borrow, steal, or buy a small light box and some designed-for-photography light bulbs. (Good static photos of small objects like pipes are IMPOSSIBLE without good light... it all starts there.) Then experiment and play around. Pixels are free.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Thanks. I've tried taking pics of pipes , hard to get the grain or Birdseye or name stamp to look really good. I will have to buy or construct a photo box with lights and keep experimenting.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Thanks for posting photos of this special pipe. The design, proportions, and execution are flawless....how does he get such a tight seam when joining two different woods on the shank section, and with mother-of-pear inlays!..is beyond my comprehension.
But ALL would be lost without the non plus ultra, photography of georged. Eye candy, for our delight! The very definition of "fine art" by both craftsmen....one makes, the other, captures images.
Thanks for the posting.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.