PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Easy answer - cigarettes = expensive ill health = "controllable reducible cost" if the people stop smoking = in a government run health system higher and higher taxes to make them stop. Oh yeah. Forgot to add: cigarettes = "all tobacco products" in the minds of the powers that be.
Plugugly

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe, I'm not going to hunt up the numbers, smokers, through taxes, pay more for towards government health care programs. Then they die younger, using less of their contribution than others, children, teens, etc. who avail themselves of government health care.
Governments heavily tax tobacco products for one reason only. It's "not the children", health care costs, they do it because they can. The majority of voters are not smokers, therefore they are not impacted ergo, they do not care nor protest. And, I suspect, tobacco users as a group do not exercise their franchise. So, why shouldn't government go for the "easy" money? Also, the majority of all eligible voters do not vote ever. A sizable portion of enfranchised Americans aren't even registered to vote. Well, except in Chicago of course. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.