PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
hoosier: I'm saying there is no loyalty in a purchased politician. They might vote your way on Monday and, if the political donation is sufficient, vote against you on Tuesday. It's a matter of, will the person stay bought? Probably not. Then consider, if a politician's seat is in jeopardy, they will go with the votes and not the money. There's more money to be made by keeping their seat in the long run. For instance, a politician in this day and age would not put his seat at risk supporting the tobacco industry in this day and age. If he loses his seat, he loses moneys in the long term. They might even take PAC moneys and vote against the wishes of the PAC if they found their seat in jeopardy. Moneys and votes! One must be weighed against the other. It's all about survival and only partially about money or right v. wrong. Obviously votes can out weigh donations. The tobacco industry found that out the hard way. So did the automotive industry. The petroleum industry also.

I simply do not believe there are many honorable politicians extant.

Last edited:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tobacco! We're discussing tobacco legislation, not air pollution. Focus "ron123", focus. But, per your argument, air pollution is detested by most everyone and heavily legislated against. Very similar to smoking. Cafe standards for autos address exhaust pollution. Factories are more regulated than tobaccos and the fines are more than you or I would want to pay should pipes be regulated the same.

Air Pollution= Marxist Over Blown Power Grab

I don’t know, you may be right Warren. This could be a power grab of some kind.
Hmm never thought of it that way. It’s definitely not about saving lives. You were or are a cop. You know the statistics and have seen the evidence first hand of the death caused by Cafe standards. Moving on to fines, well, we love to arm our Police Officers with the ability to collect revenue. I mean a speeding ticket doesn’t save lives, it’s about the revenue; the Fine. It’s the drivers that hesitate that cause accidents; slow drivers. Yet we are encouraged to drive slow. So once again it isn’t about safety or “saving a life.”

I think we are down to power and fines. MONEY. So it’s all about money.

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and olkofri

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The logic would be to spare pipe tobacco from the executioner's blade. Lobbying isn't about logic anyway, it is about money and influence. Or said differently, buying influence.
Lobbying is the Anti-Competition/Anti-Free market ingredient that has caused all of this mess. Want to rally behind a concept, Anti Washington Man Bill H.R. Pick a Number. Get Rid of the Washington Man, Solve The Worlds Problems.

So, once online vendors vanish overnight, we will be left with much of the US without B&M pipe tobacco access. And, in this climate, one would have to be a moron (my apologies to morons out there for using this term) to open a new pipe shop in this climate.

I would be left with no access to anything made by Laudsi, and much of GH&co (what's new in that?). But, what we could do is have someone in SC stop in and buy for us and send out as side trades. an underground RR of pipe tobaccos, or we could grow and illegally trade. But, of course Kevin doesn't want people to use his forum for illegal activities. But, it is a thought.

Another option is to travel to areas that have B&M's to buy unique tobaccos. But, I also fear that the decline in business would make it non-lucrative to carry a wide selection.

I have enough, so that I am not wringing my hands in panic. But, I do enjoy adding a tin or two of new blends to keep me constantly trying new things. If I were in this just to smoke, I have enough to last me till my last day, but I would probably get bored with what I have pretty quickly, with only 50 blends in stow.

Maybe Smokingpipes and P&C could open a retail site in each state, with a face to face for purchase, and the tobaccos being mailed? ...so that they wouldn't have to keep a huge inventory spread out across the US. Just brainstorming.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
hoosier: I'm saying there is no loyalty in a purchased politician. They might vote your way on Monday and, if the political donation is sufficient, vote against you on Tuesday. It's a matter of, will the person stay bought? Probably not. Then consider, if a politician's seat is in jeopardy, they will go with the votes and not the money. There's more money to be made by keeping their seat in the long run. For instance, a politician in this day and age would not put his seat at risk supporting the tobacco industry in this day and age. If he loses his seat, he loses moneys in the long term. They might even take PAC moneys and vote against the wishes of the PAC if they found their seat in jeopardy. Moneys and votes! One must be weighed against the other. It's all about survival and only partially about money or right v. wrong. Obviously votes can out weigh donations. The tobacco industry found that out the hard way. So did the automotive industry. The petroleum industry also.

I simply do not believe there are many honorable politicians extant.

Rather irrefutable logic Warren. I'm simply saying that at present, the other side is spending money and also has the majority of the votes. A little money coming from our side of things wouldn't hurt. I'm not looking for a permanent guarantee, that isn't feasible. But a delaying action wouldn't be bad. We'll take anything positive we can get.

There may be a few honorable Politicians but they clearly are a small minority. And if they stay in politics long enough, they seem to lose their honor.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So maybe the solution lies in this modest proposal.

All smoking can be allowed anywhere, at any time, in any company, provided the smoker is wearing a helmet, similar to a divers helmet, but a little more sleek in design, equipped with an air scrubbing system to prevent any smoke from escaping. Tie that with a legally binding agreement that the smoker will pay all costs related to any medical conditions, such as COPD, or any of a number of cancers associated with tobacco use, with the added benefit that, should the smoker be unable to meet the out of pocket costs for treatment, they will be put to sleep so as not to present a financial burden.
That addresses all of the complaints about smoking while respecting the freedom of others not to have to deal with smoking, smokers, or any of it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I mean a speeding ticket doesn’t save lives, it’s about the revenue
It's terribly hard to prove something that doesn't occur. But a traffic citation is not simply about the person getting the citation. The appearance of flashing lights and/or siren, the cop standing next to the violator's vehicle has a positive effect on every other driver observing the scene.

I can demonstrate, statistically, to you or other doubters that there is a direct correlation to the number of injury accidents and the number of hazardous moving citation convictions. That number is usually in the upper 20's with regard to citations per injury accident. In my town, the number which usually depressed injury accidents was 26-28 citations back in the 70s when I commanded the "Traffic Section". Much below that and injury accidents increased, much above didn't reflect a much greater number of reduction.

I will concede to you that there exist jurisdictions in which salary is/was tied to citations. I remember a county in an unnamed state had signs posted by the governor regarding "traps" set for out of state drivers. That is not the norm as you seem to imply. Crooked cops are not the rule, they are the exception.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I don't see the need for "the opposition" to spend moneys. Tobacco use is hardly a blip on the "issues" radar. No-one but we smokers cares about the issue. It's been decided! Rather effectively I might observe. Our ox has been gored, marinated, spitted, roasted and devoured! We just like wishing and bitching over the cleanly picked remains.

I know of no ballot, in any jurisdiction in the US, addressing tobacco use in the past or the foreseeable future. As an issue, no one cares. Well, except those of us who enjoy the weed in some manner. An insignificant minority I'll point out.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
So, once online vendors vanish overnight, we will be left with much of the US without B&M pipe tobacco access. And, in this climate, one would have to be a moron (my apologies to morons out there for using this term) to open a new pipe shop in this climate.

I would be left with no access to anything made by Laudsi, and much of GH&co (what's new in that?). But, what we could do is have someone in SC stop in and buy for us and send out as side trades. an underground RR of pipe tobaccos, or we could grow and illegally trade. But, of course Kevin doesn't want people to use his forum for illegal activities. But, it is a thought.

Another option is to travel to areas that have B&M's to buy unique tobaccos. But, I also fear that the decline in business would make it non-lucrative to carry a wide selection.

I have enough, so that I am not wringing my hands in panic. But, I do enjoy adding a tin or two of new blends to keep me constantly trying new things. If I were in this just to smoke, I have enough to last me till my last day, but I would probably get bored with what I have pretty quickly, with only 50 blends in stow.

Maybe Smokingpipes and P&C could open a retail site in each state, with a face to face for purchase, and the tobaccos being mailed? ...so that they wouldn't have to keep a huge inventory spread out across the US. Just brainstorming.
I thing that having pop up kiosks in malls can still be a viable option or like the holloween stores...

Status
Not open for further replies.